What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USA: Mississippi

Natchez

Just completed a cross country in a spam can, and enjoyed a beautiful day and some food at Natchez. There is a recently opened "resturant" at the airport, open 11-2. She has a regular kitchen stove and a skillet, with a few extra kitchen items. Good hamburgers, also chicken salad, etc. Soon to add ruebens I understand.
This isn't the place for a big crew to decend on, just because of throughput capacity. It makes for a nice stop if the weather is cool enough to sit out on the terrace, but inside is not too bad either. You are up on the 2nd floor and get to look out and over the airport.

I also just stopped by Natchez. The gentleman downstairs in the main terminal building called it a snack bar. Like Wallace said, it's not big, but they will cook you a fresh burger. There are a couple tables outside on the upstairs patio seen here:

20080313_008.jpg

I also posted a review here:
http://www.fly2lunch.com/restaurant.php?rest_id=4561

X-Country from Madison

We too took a cross country in a rented spam can today... Madison (MBO) to Pine Bluff, AR (PBF), was great weather, just a little breezy. Then we came home and worked on the ailerons on the 9A in progress.

The grill at PBF has just started closing on the weekends, so we ended up using the free crew car and running in to town for a quick bite. We asked if there were any experimental builders around the airport and a gentleman in the lobby spoke up and said he had a RV6 down the way and asked if we wanted to look at it. Sure we did... this was one of the best looking RV's we've seen and he had even painted it himself.

A few months ago we went to the Airport Grocery Restaurant in in Cleveland, MS (RNV). Had to be one of the best bacon cheese burgers I've ever had... just park at the south end of the runway and walk to the restaurant!

BTW... Thanks for the MISSISSIPPI topic!

Hey Paul, you keep eating those bacon cheeseburgers, you won't fit into that 9A.

Thanks for taking the fuselage stand off my hands and glad you can use. Give me a call and come by. Fitted the cowl today. More work than I thought it would be. Will be knocking on the baffle next weekend.

My regards to Beth.

Webb

Webb... the offer is still there, any time you need an extra pair of hands let us know, we would be glad to help out. We hope to have the ailerons and flaps done before Sun-N-Fun, will be priming Monday night.

Slobovia Outernational Airport Pumpkin Drop

Nov 8, 2008

BBQ at noon, bombing starts at 2:00.

Slobovia is 10 miles north of Jackson MS on the Memphis sectional (MS71).

Email to [email protected] or call me at 601-879-9596 for info/flyer.

Charlie

Meridian Mississippi KMEI

Mary and I stopped at KMEI yesterday as we returned to Florida after a ten day Kansas, Colorado, and Oklahoma trip visiting family and friends.
This was a fuel stop and I highly recommend this airport and Meridian Aviation. Beautiful facility, $3.75 self-serve 100LL, free lunch, (chili dogs, soft serve ice cream, tea, coffee, etc) very attentive line staff (especially Les), your very own golf cart for transportation, and quick in and out.

KMEI

A year ago when I flying the new to me RV6A home, I had an alternator failure near the GA-AL state line. I was not ready to set down so I continued to cross AL. When I realized I would be landing at F87 after dark, I decided to RON at Meridian.
The service was outstanding. The FBO provided a courtesy car for the night. Fuel was reasonable. After diagnosing the alternator failure with help from the maintenance people, I got my battery charged for free and continued on to F87.

Mary and I stopped at KMEI yesterday as we returned to Florida after a ten day Kansas, Colorado, and Oklahoma trip visiting family and friends.
This was a fuel stop and I highly recommend this airport and Meridian Aviation. Beautiful facility, $3.75 self-serve 100LL, free lunch, (chili dogs, soft serve ice cream, tea, coffee, etc) very attentive line staff (especially Les), your very own golf cart for transportation, and quick in and out.

TOTALLY AGREE! One of the best places to stop for fuel/food anywhere. :cool:

KMCB

McComb is off the beaten path, but has some history nearby,(also try a few miles south at Magnolia for nice old homes) and if you like golf there is a state park, on a lake with a course within a few miles. (hotel and cabins also)

The FBO has changed hands in the not too distant past, and is friendly and courteous. Just not a lot of traffic about. They shared the courtesy car for a few hours and we ran up in town to McComb to eat at the Dinner Bell restaurant. (www.thedinnerbell.net)They serve family style about 10-12 to a table, with a huge lazy suzan in the middle. All fine southern cooking, all you can eat... just keep turning the lazy susan. The restaurant has been around for 54 years, although it has moved over that time. Price is a little high, $14 today.. but if you burned the avgas to get there,.. enjoy the cooking.

Also,.. just a couple blocks away is a train museum, in the old station. It has some old engines (steam) and cars outside, and inside a lot of history of the Illinois Central RR. They had a major construction and repair facility in town. (Guy at the museum say the buses come for the museum, but time it to eat at the restaurant,.... asleep almost before out of town)

KMCB P.S.

oh yes,.. forgot to mention,.. there is a "burger joint" bar and grill that is walkable from the airport, that is reported to have a good burger.

KMCB (p.s. p.s.)

Well,.. we tried the "burger/bar joint" today. It is within walking distance from the FBO (less than a half mile),.. but you would not want to do it most of the time in the warm south. However, there is a courtesy car at the airport.

Chilly Willies is more than a burger joint.... we got chicken breast smothered with grilled mushrooms, peppers, and onions. (grilled to perfection by my stds) along with grilled vegetables. Very good. Looked long and hard at the good selection of deserts,... chocolate cake, cheesecake, pies.....etc,..but could not make weight and balance work after the lunch.

Natchez Visit...

We dropped in to KHEZ for an overnight and look-around and were very happy we had decided to visit the Natchez area.

Bob at the FBO took care of us hangar-wise, and we were put into their spacious hangar safely out of any weather.

We borrowed the crew car (nice late model SUV, NOT the usual retired police cruiser) to get our rental car.

Lots of history in the Natchez area, and we spent the evening at the Monmouth Historic Inn, had Mint Juleps at Happy Hour and then ate down by the river at "The Camp" restaurant.

Worth a trip was driving the city cemetery (also a big Federal cemetery there, too)...there's a box by the caretaker's building where you can get a CD to take a driving tour for a donation. It was very well done, and a pleasant way to learn about early residents.

Back the next morning and we were able to quickly launch off to visit Savannah, but there was too much to do/see at Natchez, so a return visit will be necessary!

Back