What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USA: Iowa

USA IOWA

If you like 410 and 360 sprintcars, obviously im going to say you need to go to Knoxville. The airport is 2 miles from the track and they usually give rides to and from the track. Saturday night is when they run. Oh yea, as far as places to eat, aint nothin better than track food.

Burlington

Thier is a little place at the BRL that has good food. It is called the Tender Trap. Quick and fast and cheap, open for lunch and evenings. It is within walking distance from the airport. About 1000 feet from the FBO. New owners in the FBO usually have a courtesey car. It is a secured airport so be sure to remeber the gate code when you go out.

Jim Knight
Burlington Iowa
RV-6

I try to make Pella Iowa a fuel/food stop. A very nice FBO and courtesy car will take you downtown to the beautiful town square (flowers everywhere!). The windmill restaurant is a nice place to eat. The majority of people there seem to be Dutch....the young ladies are all blonde and pretty.

I try to make Pella Iowa a fuel/food stop. A very nice FBO and courtesy car will take you downtown to the beautiful town square (flowers everywhere!). The windmill restaurant is a nice place to eat. The majority of people there seem to be Dutch....the young ladies are all blonde and pretty.

While I've not flown there, I will vouch for Pella being one of the most delightful little towns in the country. The Dutch letter pastries are worth the trip.

Decorah (DEH)

Pine trees, trout fishing, kayaking, bookstores, coffee shops, and a great campground on the edge of town. Great pit stop before/after Osh. Yes, it's in Iowa!

Last edited:
Sully

There's a small grass strip at Sully that's a 5 min walk from a town diner.
Flew in with some friends for breakfast this last summer and had a good breakfast.

Dubuque, IA - KDBQ

Dubuque Jet Center located there is a very GA friendly FBO.

You can take their crew car into downtown Dubuque for lunch (Bricktown Brewery is great) or rent a car at the airport and drive 20 minutes over to Galena, IL for the day. Galena has some really cute local shopping on Main Street, nice restaurants, and good sightseeing. Great day trip!

Back