What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USA: New Jersey

gpiney

Well Known Member
If any of you ever get out this way, I"ll start with a few of my favorites.

If there are any of you who can afford to both Fly and Golf, Trenton-Robbinsville (N87) is adjacent to a golf course. Land, have the FBO call the course and a cart will come out and pick you up and take you to the course.

Sky Manor (N40) has a great on-field restaurant. Saturdays and Sundays get a lot of fly-in for food action.

Hammonton (N81) - Nice cafe with good food.

Blairstown (1N7) -Nice cafe with Great Homemade Pies

Jersey Shore, Ocean City (26N)

Ocean City is a fine beach stop. Did this in the early fall of 2005 with the kids. Better than average food at the on-field cafe (closes after lunch), excellent service. Relatively short walk to the ocean, we opted for a cab ride to the boardwalk area, about $20 round trip.

Last edited:
Millville

Millville NJ (MIV) is rare indeed, they have 2 on airport resturants. We've had lunch and breakfast at Antino?s Cornerstone Grille (the yellow building at mid field) voted one of the best $100 hamburger places. I can give two thumbs up for the chili (suggested).

Is the Flying W Ranch still there?

In the mid-60's I was stationed at McGuire AFB for a year. I used to fly our T-34 Mentor Aero Club plane into the Flying W Ranch to eat and watch all the airplane goings on during the weekends. It was a popular place for General Aviation and quoted quite often in Flying Magazine. Haven't heard the name Flying W Ranch mentioned for many years now. Probably all covered with housing by now? :confused:

Oh, forgot to mention this one: Our Aero Club T-34 rented for $8 per hour wet. Boy, those days are long gone!:D

Flying W

About a year or so ago, I took the short trip from Somerset Airport, NJ (SMQ) to Flying W for some lunch. I had been there once or twice before many years ago in the summer and the airplane shaped pool was filled with guests of the hotel. The place looked in great shape this last time and there was quite a bit of activity for a cool overcast Friday afternoon (pool wasn't opened yet this time). The restaurant offered more of a menu than I had remembered and it also was quite busy. I quietly enjoyed my lunch watching the occasional arrival and departure thru the big runway facing windows in the restaurant. I remember a large group of locals trying to divide up their meal check and figure out the tip and I was thinking how great it was that the local community was supporting this business on the airport. I'm sure it's still there. Try www.flyingwairport.com and see what's going on there.

I was at Flying W about a year ago on a Friday night. After dinner there is also a live band and dancing. I've never stayed at the hotel on the premesis but have often thought of a weekend getaway there.

In the mid-60's I was stationed at McGuire AFB for a year. Oh, forgot to mention this one: Our Aero Club T-34 rented for $8 per hour wet. Boy, those days are long gone!:D

I was at McGuire in the early 70's after the T-34 was gone. I still paid $8/hour for a C-150 and $5/hour for the instructor. Help me here. What was Mr. Cherry's wifes' name? I rember she was from England and managed the office.

I remember them!

Charlotte Cherry was her name. I didn't know that she was from England? Sgt. Ray Ban's wife was from England. Her name was Fay Ban. She worked in the office too. I miss all of them! Still have a McGuire ABF Aero Club patch put away somewhere. Nice people. Dick had a very soft spoken sense of humor. That T-34, the engine quit on me while climbing out in the pattern on a downwind departure. I was able to bring it around and land dead stick. The mechanic told me that there was nothing wrong with the plane?? I replied that I wouldn't fly it again until he or someone else could determine why the engine quit, but then restarted immediately afterward on the ground. Two weeks later the Mentor still sat in the hangar. I wasn't about to take a chance. My 5 year discharge came along and I bid my fairwells. Three years later I'm flying a Pawnee in Nebraska and meet another past McGuire AFB aero club member. He said, "Oh, you didn't hear about zero three alpha?" As the story goes, two weeks after I left McGuire, a 2nd Lt. took the plane for a flight. He got as far as over the fence line to the golf coarse north of the base. The engine quit. He made a perfect landing on the golf coarse but ran across a ditch. The landing gear got ripped off the plane. Zero three alpha was scrapped. I often wonder if the mechanic had anything to say about that? That accident would have happened in Oct, '67.

Last edited:
Fly-In

Our chapter will be having our annual fly-In June 7,2008 at Sky Manor Airport (N40), 10:00 am till 3:00 pm its always fun and lots of RVs. All are welcome! We have some beautiful awards and good food. Questions Call (908) 803-8301

Happy to report that Flying W (N14) is alive and well. I rent from Aero Prep fairly often.

I would recommend N14 to anyone in the NJ or Philadelphia area for a $100 hamburger...

Cape May KWWD

Nice airport with NAS Museum and Flight Deck restaurant in Main Terminal.

2071cd83.jpg

Plattsburgh style ramp :)

6c764302.jpg

Cozy atmosphere

7e1ba6c6.jpg

1a3011f8.jpg

Excellent food

5355152b.jpg

And a lot of sightseeing after that :D

Just moved from Cherry Hill, NJ in April. If I remember correctly the first Tomahawk made is at WWD. What a great airport to visit, regret not being able to eat at the restaurant. All the airports mentioned are great stops. Flying W is a one of a kind place. I have great memories of my 2 year old throwing a fit when it was time to leave after eating and plane watching...moments that make a dad proud! Took my first RV ride in Scranton, PA that area was awesome also..not NJ but get's honorable mention:)

BTW stay away from Camden County 19N unless you want to get hooked for $20!

Cheers,

Tony

Last edited:
Central Jersey 47N

Just discovered excellent place to eat at Central Jersey 47N. Went with cousin today after roaming hungry PA. Besides the cheapest fuel in the vicinity they have very nice place with great inexpensive food.

106c95aa.jpg

a298834c.jpg

You park your RV and you go downhill to the restaurant. This is how it looks if you stand in the middle between the restaurant and RV parking.

04274150.jpg

4355383f.jpg

Beautiful interior very friendly staff.

c6dc53fa.jpg

They serve sandwiches so big I took half for later :)

35c85e45.jpg

Vlad, thanks for the recommendation! Turns out 47N is right off my typical flight path to Maine. I'm going to have to try this one out!

Blairstown 1N7

If any of you ever get out this way, I"ll start with a few of my favorites.

If there are any of you who can afford to both Fly and Golf, Trenton-Robbinsville (N87) is adjacent to a golf course. Land, have the FBO call the course and a cart will come out and pick you up and take you to the course.

Sky Manor (N40) has a great on-field restaurant. Saturdays and Sundays get a lot of fly-in for food action.

Hammonton (N81) - Nice cafe with good food.

Blairstown (1N7) -Nice cafe with Great Homemade Pies

I second Blairstown 1N7. It could get busy on sunny weekend. Glider operations, restaurant on the field and other activities.

blairstown1.jpg

My buddies and I arrived around noon. Their Grumman Tiger hauled several bicycles. There is very nice trail through the forest along the river.

blairstown2.jpg

Blairstown3.jpg

You can watch wildlife or go fishing.

blairstown4.jpg

blairstown5.jpg

There is an equestrian outfit not far from the field. I don't know how much a ride is.

Lincoln Park Airport - N07

Sunset Pub & Grill is a great restaurant for lunch or dinner that I have frequented many times in 2016. Always a great meal and RV parking is right out in front of the restaurant. Summertime is always packed and first come first serve for outdoor outdoor seating.

Back