What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sunbird RV (both kinds) expenses and logistics?

N674P

Well Known Member
Snowbird RV (both kinds) expenses and logistics?

My wife wants to know: When we retire, what kind of expenses and hassles will we be looking at if we live half the year in the sunbelt? How much does it cost to park a travel trailer and tiedown or hanger an RV?
Good questions I said I'd post to the forums...
These answers may be very important - she's ok with me building a plane 'cause it was a condition I put on our coming together, but she didn't say anything about letting me keep it once it's done!
I think she's already looking for an excuse to get rid of it. Can you help with reasons to keep it..please?

Last edited:
Reasons to keep it...

Lets see, Reason to keep an airplane that you built with your own hands... Hmmm... Oh, how 'bout this one, "Because you built it with your own hands?"
or how about, "Because you have poured hours and hours of your time, energy and money into building this with your own hands."
Just a thought...
Sorry can't help with the cost of living in the sunbelt.

Sunbelt

Johnny, we call this "Snowbird Country" down here in Southern Arizona. I wonder why, late October and it is in the low 80's. Ballpark figures to park a 4 wheel rv or trailer is around $200-400 a month, which includes full hookups. At my airport, you can rent hangar space for about $150 (sharing with others) and up. Hope this helps.

Great reason to have an a/c is while in the sun belt

won't she want to visit friends/family in the frozen north?

what more practical way to make 4-10 trips during the frigid weather????

leave sunny [insert place] zip up for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Birthday, anniversary [insert reasons]... spend the night... zip back to warmth the next day....

She'll love the convenience...

ymmv

John

Just tell her you would never think of giving up something you loved. (Of either the female or aircraft variety.)

Johnny,

This reminds me of one of my favorite CW songs. I don't know the name or the artist, but it plays every weekend as I work on my airplane in the shop, listening to CW top 40.

The first part of the song the singer says his wife has told him it's either fishing or her. There is a pause, then the next verse is:

"Well, I'm gonna miss her. Lookee here, I've got a bite."

Find the song, play it for her, and she'll never say anything about the plane again.

Cheers,
Tracy.

Edit: In case you are interested, song is "I'm Gonna Miss Her" by Brad Paisley.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies!
Ben- You'd think that would be a great reason! Doesn't work as well as it should with someone that gives away most of the quilts she makes...
Glenn- I remembered "Snowbird" at 2am, but changing the title didn't change the name of the thread. Those figures could help. My wife is getting real interested in winters in AZ - She called from Phoenix (down there for 2 months supporting the Border Patrol) where she's loving the weather. She seems to get S.A.D. up here...
John- I did mention flying back for Christmas, to which she said the idea was to get away... I do think this tack has the most promise though; the possibility of multiple very short trips back will probably hold great appeal. I really don't think she could happily go a whole winter without seeing the kids or grandkids.
Steve- I like that! I'll try that if she seriously tries to nudge the plane out...
Tracy- I know and like the song. I like and sometimes still listen to Country. I probably shouldn't reveal my wifes character flaw, but she can't stand "yee-haw" music! So playing that song to her would be a real bad idea. But I do appreciate the thought...
Su is pretty ambivalent about small planes, but hasn't completely dismissed the possibility of learning to fly. That might be the best option yet - her comfort level is much higher when she feels she has "control" of her fate...
Thanks again, and any more about Snowbirds and RV's is appreciated...

Back