What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to spend time while waiting for RV-parts from the US

ao.frog

Well Known Member
Hi gang.

These days, I'm waiting for a welded exhaust-tube for cyl # 2. It's on it's way from the US to Norway these days.
Clint at Wetterman exhaust welded it for free and also paid for the return shipment. GREAT customer care!

Anyway: the shipment takes two weeks each way, so what to do while the plane sits on the ground for a month?

Well, the ramp into my hangar needed some repairs, (some of the boards where rotten) so I woke up my carprenter-skills and went to work.

First I removed all the rotten ones:

2z514yd.jpg

4h486a.jpg

2v8pqi0.jpg

Then it was time to install the new ones:

mb4y05.jpg

After few hours, all the new ones where in place:

2cnb51y.jpg

k02ahc.jpg

Then it was time to get on some "anti-rotten-liquid" (don't know the english name for it, sorry)

2s79z7q.jpg

After three layers of the stuff, the result was this:

ngwyki.jpg

Now, the ramp is ready for the RV again:

fc1qv4.jpg

The whole process took four days.
I guess I could have done it in two days, but due to all the coffee-breaks together with pilots passing by, the time was doubled. And I tell you; this time-doubling was very welcome. Everyone just loves to talk airplane, right?? :D

Not so much RV-pics in this post I'm afraid. It's just to show you all that the loooong wait for shipments to and from the US to Europe can be put to good use...

BTW: right now, I feel that the words that I've put on the flaps: "Work Less... Fly more"... isn't quite right.... hehe... it feels more like the other way around for now, but I'm sure that's gonna change real soon! :)

Last edited:
Hi A.O. We call anti-rotten liquids "Sealer."..because it seals the wood grain, so moisture cannot penetrate.

Looks nicely done.

Best,

That looks like some serious insulation in the ceiling; or is that an optical delusion?

Jim Berry
RV-10

Judging from the color it look to be something like copper napthenate or CCA.

Look on the bright side! Every day the parts are in transit is one more day you don't have to pay the taxes. :)

Last edited:
Some answers

Pierre: yes, that might be it.
Here's a link to a Norwegian page for the product:

http://www.maxmaling.no/utvendig-ma...reverk/775/antiparasit-grønn-5-liter-detaljer

There's no english text on this website, so I used google translater and got this:

• Coverage: 3-5 m2 / l
• Paintable: 15 min. if oil paint otherwise 24 hours

Antiparasit green is a unique waterproofing for exterior use, which prevents fungi and parasites destroying the wood. Gives the wood a light green color and is perfect for finishing off impregnated materials.

Antiparasit is very effective both as prevention and the eradication of wood destroying parasites and by rot.

Antiparasit from Kemetyl is ready to use and very easy to use.

Antiparasit can be used on wharfs, bridges, grandstands, end grain of the cladding, bottom sills, timber frames, trusses, windows, terraces, etc.

It's pretty nasty stuff, but very effective: (norwegian text)

http://hms.cobuilder.no/output/binarywrite2.asp?filename=8682934.pdf

Jim: it's not insulation, it's just a couple of big tarpaulins.
Their primary function is to collect water from the condensation and lead it towards the sides of the hangar.
A secondary function is to diffuse the sunlight.

Back