What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hey...a primer question

I know the primer question is a long fought discussion on the forum.

As a new builder, I am priming the skeleton in the HS/VS (so far) but notice when I am riveting the skins on the bucking bar is leaving some marks, scuffs on the primer so delicately applied ? mainly to the ribs. (As I am checking my work).

Question to the experienced: Should I be concerned with the scuff marks? Should I re-apply the primer in the areas?

[Note, I generally search the vast experience of the forums first, but could not find an answer]

Thanks in advance.

Touch up

Have you ever seen the corrosion over the rear wheel wells on a pickup truck? Those guys didn't touch up. You be the judge. The big question is, what kind of primer are you using? :rolleyes:

Really hard to say what the effect might be as there is a valid concept that we don't need to prime at all. The reason there are primer wars are that they don't all protect the same, and everyone had a different environmentally exposed sample to prove their point. A little research on the salt spray testing of scratched samples should give you some real world comparisons. Some only prime where the joints where pieces are connected.

Prevention is probably the best cure. Happy building :)

Gorilla tape on your bucking bar works great. I have been using PTI Enamel primer in a can. Acid etch and scuff with a grey scotch bright pad seems to work well for me.

Brian Davis
Building RV-7A

Back