What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spraying primer in cooler temp??

wilddog

Well Known Member
Most of my priming will be done outside during winter, what is the min. temp that the various primers can be used? I'm looking at DX1791, Akzo 463, P60G2, NAPA 7220 or anything else that will work well at about 50F. I'm in Va. and we usually get a few days at 50F or better at noon even in Jan. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Primers

Most of my priming will be done outside during winter, what is the min. temp that the various primers can be used? I'm looking at DX1791, Akzo 463, P60G2, NAPA 7220 or anything else that will work well at about 50F. I'm in Va. and we usually get a few days at 50F or better at noon even in Jan. Thanks in advance for any advice.

No tricks here. I've sprayed P60G2 and 7220 at 50 degrees several times. It gets cold at 7,500'. The take a little longer to cure but no problem. That said, I am saving my crate to convert into a down draft pain table for temps below 50.

I use RustOLeum clean metal primer in the rattle can. To improve my success in cooler temperatures I did a few things to improve my success. I always keep my rattle cans in the house. I have a spot above the washing machine in a cabinet my wife never used. Anytime I'm going to spray something in cool temps I bring it inside to bring it up to room temps first. If possible, I try to spray in direct sunlight. I've done these things and had no problems. The only times I've had any issues priming is if I didn't prep the surface well. Scuffing and cleaning is very important.

Priming

I use RustOLeum clean metal primer in the rattle can. To improve my success in cooler temperatures I did a few things to improve my success. I always keep my rattle cans in the house. I have a spot above the washing machine in a cabinet my wife never used. Anytime I'm going to spray something in cool temps I bring it inside to bring it up to room temps first. If possible, I try to spray in direct sunlight. I've done these things and had no problems. The only times I've had any issues priming is if I didn't prep the surface well. Scuffing and cleaning is very important.

Good point Gil. I forgot. I keep my P60G2 inside as well. I also scuff then wipe parts down with AeroGreen.

Back