What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fiberglass Tips

West System

Here at RV Central I use West System Epoxy wit 206 slow hardner in the summer, 205 fast hardner in the winter.
I use 403 microfibers adhesive filler for fillets that need to have structural bonding.I use 410 microlight faring filler. It sands real easy.

I get this stuff at a boat shop in Dallas. If you order through Spruce there is a has/mat $$ charge on the epoxy and hardner. try to find it localy. Get the pumps too.
Hope this helps

Thanks Jay, I tried to find the West Systems products locally, but looks like I will have to order. I called Spruce and they said if it goes via ground then there is no hazmat cost. Something I didn't realize is how many different types of cloth there is. What do you recommend for doing the tips? Is 5.8oz S-glass they way to go or will 4oz E-glass be ok? I was also told that although kevlar is the strongest, it is a pain to sand.

Fiberglass 101 tape

Hey Bill,

I have a copy of Sam James Fiberglass 101 on VHS tape that I've already seen. It'll answer a lot of your questions and inspire confidence with the dreaded 'glass. Email me your address and I'll send it over.

Steve Zicree

Update: I guess ground shipment is the way to go if you don't want to pay HAZMAT fees. I ordered the following from Spruce and ground shipping to Colorado Springs was only $10.09.

1.00 of 4533-60 S-GLASS-STYLE 4533 5.8 OZ. 60"
1.00 of 01-08780 WEST SYS 410 MICROLIGHT 2 OZ
1.00 of 01-08100 WEST SYSTEM EPOXY KIT A-1 FAST
1.00 of 02-30010 ES6279 EPOXY PINT KIT

I was unable to find the stuff locally and would have had to travel over an hour to buy in Denver. Spruce's prices were considerably cheaper than West Marine located in Denver. I would have paid way more than $10 for gas and taxes on the stuff.

Hey Steve, I got the tape yesterday and already watched it. There are some very good tips on it. I definitely benifited from it. I am going to pass it on to another RV builder. Thanks for sending it

Back