What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trutrak Vizion 380 or 385?

newt

Well Known Member
RV-6, manual trim, equipped with a Garmin GNS430.

I'm on the cusp of buying an autopilot. I've boiled my choices down to the Trutrak Vizion 380 or 385.

I'm not an IFR pilot, and this'll very definitely be an autopilot for a VFR aircraft.

As far as I can tell, the major differences between the 380 and 385 are horizontal and vertical GPS steering, and the price.

I understand that both of them will happily follow a flight plan programmed into my GNS430, but without GPS steering the 380 will "overshoot and intercept" at each waypoint instead of anticipating turns, so following IFR procedures might be problematic. I'm actually okay with that.

Is there anything I'm missing that'd suggest that the 385 is worth the extra cash for my specific application?

Opinions welcome,

- mark

I bought the 380 for the same reasons that you are considering, and because my GPS won't support the advanced the features of the 385. I'm starting to second guess that decision. If I upgrade the GPS in the future, it would be nice to have the capability in the autopilot just in case. It would also allow me to program altitude into my routs VS having to manually enter each change - not that it is a big deal either way.

RV-6, manual trim, equipped with a Garmin GNS430.

I'm on the cusp of buying an autopilot. I've boiled my choices down to the Trutrak Vizion 380 or 385.

I'm not an IFR pilot, and this'll very definitely be an autopilot for a VFR aircraft.

As far as I can tell, the major differences between the 380 and 385 are horizontal and vertical GPS steering, and the price.

I understand that both of them will happily follow a flight plan programmed into my GNS430, but without GPS steering the 380 will "overshoot and intercept" at each waypoint instead of anticipating turns, so following IFR procedures might be problematic. I'm actually okay with that.

Is there anything I'm missing that'd suggest that the 385 is worth the extra cash for my specific application?

Opinions welcome,

- mark

You have it all correct. I would actually suggest, since you already have the 430, to go ahead with the 385. Even on a standard flight plan you'll get the turn anticipation which makes for a nice, predictable transition from one waypoint to the next.

I bought the 380 for the same reasons that you are considering, and because my GPS won't support the advanced the features of the 385. I'm starting to second guess that decision. If I upgrade the GPS in the future, it would be nice to have the capability in the autopilot just in case. It would also allow me to program altitude into my routs VS having to manually enter each change - not that it is a big deal either way.

Your 380 can be upgraded to the 385 at any time. You only pay the difference in cost between the two systems, no upgrade penalty.

Your 380 can be upgraded to the 385 at any time. You only pay the difference in cost between the two systems, no upgrade penalty.

Oh wow, I didn't realize that.

That probably seals it then: Buy the 380, and if I ever do a panel upgrade and want the extra functionality from the 385 I can pay the difference? That's awesome.

- mark

Back