What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hit a brick wall: Prop bolts. I need help on this.

Skyhook

Well Known Member
Changing my Sensenich wood 2-blade to a Catto composite 3-blade has brought me to a complete stand. The prop bolts used on the Sensenich are 1/2X5" with 3/4 hex head and I need bolts at least 7/8ths inch longer. Actually, a 6" bolt would do. Problem is, not one supplier has them. We (my FBO's mechanics and I) spent almost an hour checking out every hardware supplier in the country without success. One supplier had two (2) bolts.. four too few. :rolleyes:

Given this problem, where would you turn?? Any and all comments will be appreciated.

If you haven't already, check Sensenich...they sell prop bolts of all lengths (regardless of whether or not you are buying one of their props).

Deene

Size is everything...

McFly,

Having bolted 6 different props on my RV4 over the years including 2 Cattos, I share your pain. I have a long cowl, 4" extension. I went to 7/16 bolts with a 6 1/4 shank in 98' as they don't loosen between oil changes. I bought them from Acft Spruce. I use washers on the back side with nylon lock nuts and a 4" prop shaft extension. The bolts go all the way through the prop and out the back side of the extension with the nuts behind. Washers can be added or subtracted depending on which prop I use.
I have a full set of 6 with nuts from my Catto when I sold it. I keep them as spares, you are welcome to them, just replace them when you can...

Let me know how I can help...

Rob Ray

Last edited:
Thanks all for the comments and Smoky for the offer. Here's the part # identification we're using:

AN8H-55

or

AN78-55 which equates to the 'new' designation of MS20073-08-55

(I just might turn this thing into a boat before Christmas. :eek: )

1/2" prop bolts

Found your request by chance, I happen to have 6 new, never used 1/2 inch prop bolts. They measure 5 11/16" grip length--6 1/2" o/a length and are drilled for a cotter key. The heads are not drilled but could be. I'm not sure of their value so will say"make me an offer". If they will suit you, will ship them to you and if they satisfy you, you could send me a check.
Contact me at" [email protected]"

More on prop bolts

Rver's
I just re- checked my stock bins and found a couple of bolt sizes some of you could use ( I think I have built my last homebuilt)
I have available:
21 7/16-20X 5" (4 3/8" grip length) undrilled Rockford bolts, cad plated.
16 7/16-20X 7 1/8" ( 6 7/16" grip length) drilled heads, plated.
12 1/2 -20 X 6 7/16 ( 5 11/16 grip length)
Our new E-mail address is "[email protected]" Contact me if you have a need for any of these. Just like my tailforks, you look at them before you send any money. Serious callers only, please. 1-231-775-2232
Doug Sr.

Darn it, Doug, I just now saw your post.. I've too many irons in the fire to stay conversation current I guess.

Anyhow, I ordered a set of six from Van's.. The length is still a bit 'up in the air', but what isn't around here? :D

It will all come out in the washer...

For those situations where the bolt is a bit long...washers Rule!

RR

I do have my fingers crossed on the length. I will allow two (2) washers only so, the tare ain't there.
What I will seriously try to determine is that the threads do not run out before the prop gets that 27#/SI compression. The torque wrench will register all's well whether the prop is suitably snugged up or the threads are exhausted.

Back