What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any regrets Interior Paint-Sherwin Williams Dimension

Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Gents,

I am considering using Sherwin Williams Dimension series urethane paint for my interior paint. It is ~$60/qt vs PPG ~$120/qt.

For those who have use the SW Dimension series paint do you have any regrets/hints.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul:

I used SW AcrylD, which is their Acrylic Urethane mid-range product. It worked fine -- you just have to use it in a well-ventilated area.

I found it best to use my conventional, $19 spray gun on surfaces I could lay flat and my cheap HVLP rig on the rest of the interior that must be painted vertically. I think it came out well. I matched a specific model year's color so I could easily buy touch-up paint.

After having great results with the cheap spray gun on the parts painted flat I decided to give painting the entire interior with the cheap gun a try. It looked FANTASTIC until the next morning when I went out there and it had run all over the place. Needless to say I ended up wet-sanding and respraying with the HVLP, which turned out MUCH better.

2006-01-09.1275.jpeg
2006-01-16.1290.jpeg

2006-01-16.1291.jpeg
2006-01-16.1292.jpeg

It's definately a learning experience. It's a three part paint: color, hardener and reducer. I mixed as accurately as possible but discovered that you really have to use a tad more reducer, and this has been confirmed by a couple of automotive paint guys I know.

Oh yeah, before closing up your hardener take a rag and wipe off the threads of the bottle and the inside of the cap. They don't call it hardener for no reason. Don't ask me how I know. :D

I've been using the Sherwin Williams Acrilyd Plus with Urethane hardner for about 20 years. One thing Jamie didn't mention about the hardner is it should be kept in the referidgerator. It will last much longer (and it ain't cheap!)

Last edited:
Pmerems said:
Gents,

I am considering using Sherwin Williams Dimension series urethane paint for my interior paint. It is ~$60/qt vs PPG ~$120/qt.

For those who have use the SW Dimension series paint do you have any regrets/hints.

Thanks,

Paul
I used Sherwin Williams Dimension 3.5 urethane enamel on my interior. It has held up fantastically through about 1100 hours of flying & abuse. People slapping the seat belt buckles around, and no real signs of wear. I don't have any interior fabric whatsoever, so this paint having held up has been important to me...and it has. Good stuff.

Just definitely protect yourself as you spray it. Urethane enamels were particularly nasty according to everybody I spoke to about isocyanates and what not. When I started spraying it in my cockpit I used a Hobbyair forced air respirator, full face mask.

Interior color question

I am planning on using the cream color Classic Aero leather seats in my RV-9A and need to make a decision on a trim color for all the aluminum that shows in the cockpit. I don't think the Vans gray would look very good and am thinking of a cream to light tan color. If anyone out there has been there done that I would sure appreciate some advice and paint codes that would be usuable. I sent an E-mail asking for leather samples but haven't heard back yet. I'm sure they are very busy. I am ready to paint some items and would like to get started.

THANKS!!

Back