What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OSH to the Keys

N64GH

Well Known Member
Patron
I am not very good at using the "Search" function. I can never seem to get the correct combination of words to find what I am looking for so please excuse me if the answer to this question is in cyberspace someplace.

The wife agreed to another OSH trip again this year IF it was a stop on the way to the FLorida Keys. OK no problem two/three days at OSH is better than none. And we should make the social, Spotted Cow and bratwurst big plus. At least I think so. Also OSH is as far east as we have ever gone (from SoCal KCCB) so heck yea lets expand our range I am all for it.

So to my question. Any suggestions for a route from OSH to I don't know KTBM, X51, KMTH? Where to RON if time and WX and wife's rear (please do not tell her I said that) do not let us do it in one day. Where to land the plane for a few days in Florida. We are going to Plantation Key just south of Key Largo. Family there and we have been there many times just not in our little Magic Carpet RV6.

Ideas any one?

Mike,

OSH to MTH is probably 8+ hours of flying time in a -6....even MY butt gets tired on that kind of day.

You may want to find a nice stop in beautiful eastern Tennessee - about half way - for a day or two along the way. My wife is always happier that way. :D

Assuming 135Kt ground speed and 4.5hrs endurance:

KOSH - 3M7 (Lafayette, TN) 460NM - 3.5hrs (Spend the night if too tired. If not then continue on)
3M7 - 28J (Palatka, FL) 466NM - 3.5hrs (Spend the night. Nice airport, inexpensive fuel, good hotels and good food. We can even meet for dinner if the timing is right.) ;)
28J - KMTH (Marathon Key) 297NM - 2.25hr

KOSH - 3M7 - 28J - KMTH

My 2 cents.

:cool:

Last edited:
Last year I went from OHS to Destin, and I was mentally exhausted, Eglin air space requirements didn't help. I couldn't imagine making the keys in one day, if you try it I would stay far east of Eglin air space.

X35 in north Florida is a great fuel stop on the way, and the RV Hotel there is available.

Try getting rooms at the Doubletree Inn if you fly to KEYW. They are about 1 mile from the airport. They have free airport shuttle service and free hourly bus service to and from Duval Street. Good restaurant and tiki bar on site. Not cheap - approx $225/night.

If you wind up in Marathon, don't miss the Keys Fisheries Market and Marina.

For lunch get the lobster reuben. It's huge and delish!

In the evening the upstairs bar has all the stone crab you can eat for a very low price and you get to toast the sunset.

http://www.keysfisheries.com/marina/

Went to KW for Fantasy Fest last fall and cruised up and down the keys. It's all good!

Keys Fisheries Market and Marina.

For lunch get the lobster reuben. It's huge and delish!

In the evening the upstairs bar has all the stone crab you can eat for a very low price and you get to toast the sunset.

http://www.keysfisheries.com/marina/

Yes that lobster reuben is a MUST HAVE when we are in the Keys it is the best! We did not know about the stone crab at night that will probabily be on our list this trip :)

Back