What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

KSGJ St Augustine Question

Flybuddy2

Well Known Member
Planning trip there this weekend. Only FBO listed on Airnav is Atlantic with fuel prices in the mid 7s. Self serv pump is in the 4s. Where is the self serve pump on the field and is there somewhere close by to tie down for the night and rent a car without using Atlantic..thx Tom/Fort Myers

I believe that unless you find an RV'er with some hangar space, Atlantic is the only option for tie-downs, partially waived if you buy fuel, but maybe still cheaper to buy fuel at the self serve, which if I remember correctly is over next to the tower.

Atlantic did have great service and handled a rental car for me. I ended up circling the airport while a Cessna made an emergency engine-out landing, and tower did a great job of handling it.

Chris

KSGJ

Self serve is right near tower. Be careful and listen to ground, SGJ now has commercial service and not all ramps are open to GA. Parking near caf? is free, Don't know about overnight, but they are helpful and can guide you.

Hi Pierre, 6 is running great, adding about 100 a year, my son started flying last year and he's been at it also..take care Tom

Flager CO as an alternative

Check it out (KXFL). A local recommended it to me in lieu of KSGJ. Supposedly, it is a good GA alternative.

Planning trip there this weekend. Only FBO listed on Airnav is Atlantic with fuel prices in the mid 7s. Self serv pump is in the 4s. Where is the self serve pump on the field and is there somewhere close by to tie down for the night and rent a car without using Atlantic..thx Tom/Fort Myers

$20/night fee for a tie down at Atlantic. SS fuel pumps are next to the tower but for overnight you will have to tie down at Atlantic so you are probably better off flying to Flagler (XFL) renting a car and driving to St. Augustine.

Check it out (KXFL). A local recommended it to me in lieu of KSGJ. Supposedly, it is a good GA alternative.

I live in St Augustine but base my airplane at Flagler for now.

:cool:

Last edited:
I am also based at Flagler, there is an Enterprise rent-a-car on the field. It's about 35-45 minutes from St. Augustine.

I used to be based at XFL. Don't miss the HiJackers restaurant there. Good food and a fun place.

I am now based at Palatka, 28J. Plenty of tie-downs, but about an hour from St. A.

I used to be based at KXFL. Don't miss the HiJackers restaurant there. Good food and a fun place.

Yes. You can park and tie down in front of Highjackers which is a great restaurant.

I am also based at Flagler, there is an Enterprise rent-a-car on the field. It's about 35-45 minutes from St. Augustine.

Enterprise rent-a-car is probably your best bet at KXFL and the price of Avgas is one of the lowest in the area.

Atlantic at KSGJ is the only game in town. However, it does not hurt their feelings a bit if you buy fuel from the self-serve and then park with them. It has been a while since I spent the night, so don't know how they handle ramp/landing fees etc. They do not charge if you land and park there to have breakfast or lunch at the airport cafe and are very friendly and helpful.

Cheap SS fuel, taxi service , car rentals, less than 5 miles to beach or town and close to 300 hundred places to eat around a great town! Good food on the field, Friendly tower! Why would you not want to stop there?

N113SJ

Thx, our intent is to go there. It's unfortunate that we need to dbl check everything to avoid financial surprises. Sometimes by virtue of merely placing a tire on a large FBOs ramp you can owe them extravagant fees. I always wondered if I could run out to the UPS guy making a u turn in my driveway and charge him 50 bucks "ramp" fee.

Cheap SS fuel, taxi service , car rentals, less than 5 miles to beach or town and close to 300 hundred places to eat around a great town! Good food on the field, Friendly tower! Why would you not want to stop there?

N113SJ

Sorry, but anyplace that charges me $20.00 a night for the privilege of parking my airplane outside doesn't want my business and I will take it somewhere else if I can. And in this case, you easily can.

Here's a post from the Piper Forum that proves why it's good to ask a lot of questions up front.

"So this past weekend I was visiting my home town for two days (two nights and two days). I was at a GA airport that granted has become a little busier in the past several years, but is still a GA airport on the fringes of the city. This city is not what I'd consider huge on the scale of New York, but is not tiny. It hosts a championship NFL team that I still root for

Anyhow, while paying for my top off of 35 gallons, I noticed on my bill that I had been charged a tie-down fee of $75 per night (not a hangar, just tie-down) for a total of $150 on top of the fuel. Thinking that this was a little bit high for my single engine Piper, I asked the CSR whether or not this was correct. I had been told two days prior by another CSR that the rate was $25 per night. She informed me that SHE was correct and that the rate would stand. I did not cause a fuss as I'm waiting for the owner to come back off of vacation to inquire again, but I still think this sounds a little high."

There are two sides of operations at that airport. The commercial and the GA of course. SAAPA.orq is GA and they would help you with information on where to park for less. My hanger key is here in Pa. at the present but you can park in front of my hanger (row F, #9 ) last one one the left. I wont be back till November. There are many RV's and other experimental's and like minded people who are very friendly and helpful. That $20 bucks could open the door to a whole new world for you!

N113SJ

I guess I see things differently than most. I like KSGJ and feel that $20 a night is cheap. I can imagine the expense that a FBO has to stay in business and the ramp and fuel is about the only way they have to pay for these expenses.
With the rent they pay the airport, personnel, lights, water, insurance, $20 is very reasonable.
I feel almost guilty anytime a FBO waives the tie-down fee when I get fuel.

Thx, I agree...I emailed Atlantic 2 days back and they never responded. I called and was told only fee is 20 bucks for overnight, regardless of gas. It's reasonable for the convenience and I don't begrudge them that money. However, when they are nearly $2.50 per gallon more on avgas than elsewhere on the field--that's a different story. It would be nice if FBOs would have signage coming onto their ramps with fuel prices and "ramp fees".
Also---Swordtail, thx for the offer

I guess I see things differently than most. I like KSGJ and feel that $20 a night is cheap. I can imagine the expense that a FBO has to stay in business and the ramp and fuel is about the only way they have to pay for these expenses.
With the rent they pay the airport, personnel, lights, water, insurance, $20 is very reasonable.
I feel almost guilty anytime a FBO waives the tie-down fee when I get fuel.

+1
Couldn't have said it better myself! And, as I noted earlier, Atlantic is just fine with you buying fuel at the SS pump.

Feeling spoiled in Fort Myers, Page Field

I am presently tied down at Page Field FBO and it costs me $8.00 per night, 3 nights free with fuel purchase.
Self serve fuel is the cheapest around, if not in Florida !
Top notch FBO !

I am presently tied down at Page Field FBO and it costs me $8.00 per night, 3 nights free with fuel purchase.
Self serve fuel is the cheapest around, if not in Florida !
Top notch FBO !

We visit Ft. Myers a few times a year and agree 100%. Great FBO with excellent service and fair prices.

You are definitely doing the right thing by checking first, especially if they are the only place in town... Large FBOs often charge what they want for us little guys because they really want the big jets there. Just here in Atlanta I went to pick up a buddy of mine at PDK at one of their larger FBOs. I told him that I would meet him there since it was close to his house and the larger FBO was easier to find on the field. They charged him $25 per night for parking his car there and asked him to tell me to come in after I arrived and pay them a $75 ramp fee. You never know what you are going to get at these airports. And people wonder why why the GA industry is dying?!?!?

You are definitely doing the right thing by checking first, especially if they are the only place in town... Large FBOs often charge what they want for us little guys because they really want the big jets there. Just here in Atlanta I went to pick up a buddy of mine at PDK at one of their larger FBOs. I told him that I would meet him there since it was close to his house and the larger FBO was easier to find on the field. They charged him $25 per night for parking his car there and asked him to tell me to come in after I arrived and pay them a $75 ramp fee. You never know what you are going to get at these airports. And people wonder why why the GA industry is dying?!?!?

You had a choice and didn't mind paying extra for the convenience. No problem there.

It is NOT just the GA part that is dying! The Biz jet world too suffers from these FBO price gouging. Yes, some big airports make the FBO pay millions to setup shop per year and fuel truck cost money too, but, there are many FBO's out there surviving and making money without ripping people off!

I "Choose" in personal and Business trips NOT to support the price gouging! And I "Do NOT" expect things for free....just a fair price so I don't have to sell my airplane or have people lose their jobs to the FBO's that charge $8 per gallon.

It's a full time job researching full prices these days, but you have to do it to stay employed.

By the way: FMY and APF are both GREAT places with low fuel prices and TOP customer service! And NO there are NOT a big FBO chain.

Back