What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EIS and Resistant (Float) Senders

flybill7

Well Known Member
For anyone who has an EIS with fuel capacity display capability, and has the resistance (float) senders, I'm wondering how well it works. It's my understanding the float senders only go from empty up to a certain point -- the tank may have more gas but the system won't know it. How does the EIS display handle this?

I know the capacitive sender setup doesn't have this problem but I got the prebuilt fuel tanks and you're locked into the float senders with them.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Sixteen Gallons Indicated Max

I have a -7A QB with (thus) float senders. My instrument is the GRT 4000.
The maximum reading on my 21 gallon tanks is 16 gallons for the obvious reason that the sender is at the bottom of the triangle formed by the dihedral. There is no way for the float to go that high. I find this absolutely no big deal. I usually fill the tanks to the top anyhow.

I have the FuelFlow option. The floats are accurate to less than a gallon error. The FuelFlow is at least that accurate. The data only gets important below 16 gallons;). OK, I've only flown 30 hours, but really, if it's full, it's full. You burn off that top part in about half an hour on the first tank and 45 minutes on the second.

I got some rigid, clear tubing from Spruce and calibrated it to my tanks. You can mark it with a Sharpie and the gasoline won't take it off. If you really want to know the difference between 16 and 21 on the ground, it's easy to do. Always hold the tube in the same relative position in the filler hole. I prefer the aft center, but just make it always the same as front to back or even side to side will give different readings.

Thanks for the info. Max reading of 16 gallons works for me. Not that I can do anything about it. Congrats on your new airworthy 7A.

... Bill

Back