What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

endurance

hectorrv4

Hellow, Was wondering if I may get an idea of the range/endurace people are getting with a fixed pitch metal prop, O360 LYC .
Am about to start the wings, and am wondering if it is worth putting the-6 tanks on. If someone with the above setup could give me their fuel flow,time aloft,speed,distance in NM, With or without reserves, whatever, that would be very much appreciated.
Cheers,
Bill Markey.
Tail ready to paint.wings started.

I'd put the -6 tanks on no matter what if I were you. That's the one thing I wish I'd done differently.

timely...

Timely discussion. I was just wondering the same thing. I saw the set of -6 tanks come up on this board and was tempted to buy them.

The only negative I can think of is that another 6 gallons eats 36 lbs. of useful load. You could bump the gross to 1550 and specify only with full tanks or something like that ???

John

Get the Extended Range Tanks from Hotel Whiskey

I'm building an -8, but have installed the ER tank kit from Hotel Whiskey aviation. Very complete kit, well thought out, contains everything you need to install. The tank is tubular and fits in the lightening holes in the fwd wing ribs outboard of the fuel tanks. The tanks were designed by Chuck Wilson and Jeff Hanson, both of whom own RV-4's and needed more fuel for XC operations. See them here: http://www.hotelwhiskey.com/

Oh, and they only weigh 10 lbs total empty.

Art :)

RV series aux fuel tanks

My RV-4 is an awesome aircraft but was serioulsy constrained by range. My partner and I have engineered aux fuel tanks that are totally retrofitable (even on painted aircraft) and add an hour of range to the entire series of aircraft. My -4 came home from Oshkosh 862sm. non stop in 4hrs 40 min with 45 min fuel remaining, no wind. I have an 0-360 and my partners -4 has an I0-320 and we regularly burn 7gph at 8500-12500 at reduced power settings and plan on 180mph true speeds. Of course both aircraft are modified with our extended range fuel tanks. They add 8.2 gal of additional fuel. See more on Safeair1.com for the most current updated info on the extended range tanks.

Chuck Wilson
Hotel Whiskey Aviation LLC

Fuel tanks

I have Jon's tip tanks that bring the total to 50 gallons & would do the -6 tanks if i could. I pick the fuel stops by price. I like the range option. With the 0-360 & CS prop, TO isn't a problem. I only fill them a few times per year for trips, but then they are great.

Gary

Back