What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empennage fairing adventure begins

scard

Well Known Member
Advertiser
My empennage fairing adventure began today. Just for reference, this is a -8 fastback, so the top deck shape is different than usual. Dan wrote the definitive guide on how to scratch make this part some time ago. Pictured is the Vans fairing sliced in two locations, and it magically almost fits pretty well. This is just a first exploration of what might be possible. It may be a fools errand, but at first glance, it looks like I might be able to just put humpty dumpty back together... It definitely wouldn't be a one screw wonder like Dan's, but that doesn't bother me. Hmm, noodling.

empennage_fairing1.JPG

Looks good?why reinvent the wheel when you can take a perfectly good existing wheel and modify it? Fit over the HS skin is perfect!

Pictured is the Vans fairing sliced in two locations, and it magically almost fits pretty well.

empennage_fairing1.JPG

Scott, I am surprised that you did not have to make a pie cut on both sides to get a good fit.

Are you looking for suggestions, or just documenting your build on the fairing??

Shoot cut it up and tape it where necessary to form a base for a new custom molded part. The bar has been set at one screw by Dan. Go for a fit so tight a dab of Brylcream holds it in place.

Mike, you are correct, the pie wedge is already starting to come out of it. You know how it goes, trim, look, think, trim, look, think... Luckily I already slayed this dragon last year with the canopy.

Go for a fit so tight a dab of Brylcream holds it in place.
Yeah, Dan tried that with his canopy and darn near locked himself in there permanently! I imagine he would have permanently looked like this. Proof that tighter isn't always better :)
IMG_8827.JPG

Back