What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nehalem (3S7)

RVG8tor

Well Known Member
Well the first time we tried to fly into Nehalem (3S7) we were weathered out due to an all day marine layer keeping it socked in. Today we made it there but had a late start due to a lazy morning. I always like it when I can convince my wife to make an outing in "Gator". She had an incentive since we plan a camping trip with our horses there sometime this summer.

I was able to experience first hand how the windsock lies. I flew over at 2000' to check out the field for animals and people and there were none. No airplanes in the pattern and just one aircraft on the field. Winds at airports north and south had wind north at 10 knots, which matched the windsock on the north end of the field. See Google Earth Photo.

On the turn to final for runway 33 I see what appears to be a balloon but as I get closer I realize that it is a kite. I also notice a very significant cross wind from the west. As we make our way down final I fell like the kite might be a factor and what goes through my mind is "what genius thinks the end of a runway is a good place to fly a kite" Well after walking the route, people on the sand when the tied is out have no signs or other indications that there is an airport there, and my circle at 2000' most likely went unnoticed.

Back to the approach now I was expecting the crosswind based on some other VAF member's post, thank you. What made this all difficult was to have to maneuver east to avoid the kite then get back to final, about this time I am low enough that the wind starts to shift big time, it was a dance on the rudder to keep things aligned and it was not my nicest landing. So beware, this is a great little airport with an attached state park but the winds will play tricks.

On our walk back a Kitfox, I think, made the approach and right at tree top level the wind shifted and rocked the plane pretty good, he added power and never came back!

We had a great day and are looking forward to the camping trip, you can see the camp grounds to the east. I will let my wife and her girlfriend make the 3.5 hour drive with the horse trailer and I will fly the 50 minute flight and meet them there!

Cheers

24l0mzd.jpg

Add Kite and Stir

Wow, I never had to bounce around a kite. Sounds like you did well and had a good time. Still beats a horse ride I would say from my past experiances. :)

Here's our view at the entertaining wind sock.
2rejyn8.jpg

I really like flying to Nehalem Bay (Manzanita). A couple of weeks ago my wife and I flew there and the field was clear with a marine layer about a mile offshore with about a 500' cieling about 1000' thick that looked like it stretched all the way to Hawaii. We landed and had fun, but kept a close eye on the clouds.

As you say, the winds can be tricky with the potential of wind from the west off the ocean, east down the river, and the huge change in the wind as you drop below the tree line all happening at the same time. Fun, but tricky.

Also there are a couple of nice little restaurants just a short 20 minute walk into town.

Have fun,

Tim

That's the favorite airplane camping spot for me and the kid. The best kept "secret" is that the camping spots along the runway (I think there are 5) are not reservable (unlike every other spot in the park) and are first-come-first-served for pilots. And it's a really cool place to fly!

Funny, last time I was there a month-ish ago Hula Girl was parked right in that spot.

Yep...

That's the favorite airplane camping spot for me and the kid. The best kept "secret" is that the camping spots along the runway (I think there are 5) are not reservable (unlike every other spot in the park) and are first-come-first-served for pilots. And it's a really cool place to fly!

Funny, last time I was there a month-ish ago Hula Girl was parked right in that spot.

That was the trip and the photo record. Just a day trip. A couple weeks earlier was a camping trip. We have only had camping neighbors on the strip once out of several trips.
Hey Greg, are you going to Beck's Flying B's Wednesday? We are...

Yes, planning to be Flying B's (for the first time finally I am in town when it happens!) on Wednesday. White/blue cherokee spam can 639MR. See ya there I hope!

Also, flew over to Nehalem bay for nice-weather-need-to-get-out trip today. As often happens, squirrely winds landing to the north around 3pm. Walked into town and got pizza, then down the beach and back to the plane. by them a couple hours had passed and the winds were more steady and standard. Great day to fly to Manzanita and back!

If you're not comfortable in crosswinds, highly gusty winds that might necessitate a bumpy go-around, or flying close to trees - this airport might not be for you except in the morning and later in the day (after 5pm probably). Fly overhead at 2000 feet and look carefully a) at the windsock - if it steady or changing direction a lot? and b) for deer and wildlife on the runway and c) for people at the threshold of 33 when landing to the north. The point about kites mentioned earlier is a really good one, as well. It's a great and fun airport, but it's also one to be sure to hold a safe amount of respect for, along the same lines as Cascade Locks and Pacific City. I've seen more than a couple planes that got damaged at this airport because, frankly, the pilots were not on their games and put themselves in bad situations. And not just Cessnas or Pipers. Maules, RVs and others, as well. Just sayin'. :)

Last edited:
Great area and great little spot. Our beach house is 25 minute walk. The airport weighed heavy in the decision to buy in Manzanita. Greg and Bruce, you have my #. Call me anytime your headed that way...

Great!

Hi Jon,
We will give you a ring next time.
Are you going to Beck's Wednesday? Let me know if you need info on this.

Back