What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GX55 Problems

chuck

Well Known Member
I have a Apollo GX55 GPS that has been acting odd lately. It has been working without fail for about 1300 hours.

I don't get a nav solution for about the first 15 minutes of flying. It just sits there parked on KAAA with an indication that the nav is invalid. Then a bit later I look down and sure enough it figures out that I'm in Washington an acts normally. I've checked out the antenna BNC connectors and they are tight and corrosion free.

I'd like to swap out antennas and am wondering if any GPS antenna will work or just Apollo/Garmin GX antennas.

Any idea's would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sounds like the internal memory battery is dead. This causes the unit to go through a complete cold start-up everytime you turn it on.

My GX-55 stopped working when I filled it with water washing the plane :eek: .

If you pour about 4oz of water out of it...well, that's your problem <g>.

b,
d

Wet stuff...

Doug,

I remember that day when everything got wet when you and Jay picked up Flash from the painters! An 'advantage' of the tip-ups!
Best regards and keep her dry!

LOL, yep...I remember that, Vern!

Then I 'fixed' the gaps with sealing strips and washed it a year later and more water got in! So, the *2nd* time I washed my GPS/Comm it stopped working <grin>. That was one expensive wash....

b,
d

Chuck it sounds like the memory battery inside the unit. This is a common problem after about five years of use. I had the same problem on my 820 and came to find out they stopped making the battery. I went to radio shack and found one that would work and wired it in. Garmin wanted $400.00 to replace the battery....
Shine'r
Sunny, Warm, Pittsburgh, Pa.

Back