What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USA Notam

I think that one falls under the special no-readem rule. Any TFR longer than 200 words, nobody reads it. :)

Actually, I think those are the requirements for crossing the ADIZ. No flight plan is required for normal flights within the U.S.

It's an addition to Part 99.

On first read, it does appear to ban VFR flights! But it states (in traditional annoying Teletype ALL CAPS STYLE):

"IN ADDITION TO THE REQUIREMENTS PRESCRIBED IN 14 CFR PART 99, SECURITY CONTROL OF AIRTRAFFIC, THE FOLLOWING SPECIAL SECURITY REQUIREMENTS ARE IN EFFECT PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 99.7 SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS."

According to the FARs, Part 99 is only applicable as follows:

"? 99.1 Applicability.

(a) This subpart prescribes rules for operating all aircraft (except for Department of Defense and law enforcement aircraft) in a defense area, or into, within, or out of the United States through an Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ) designated in subpart B.

(b) Except for ??99.7, 99.13, and 99.15 this subpart does not apply to the operation of any aircraft-

(1) Within the 48 contiguous States and the District of Columbia, or within the State of Alaska, on a flight which remains within 10 nautical miles of the point of departure;"

Thanks. I figured that was what it was. I have been flying without a flight plan, and no one was upset with me, so it must be ok.

Back