What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B and formation flying

Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
I recently upgraded to the Skyview system with the Dynon transponder and ADS-B receiver. I plan on flying with a buddy in a two ship this weekend. He doesn't have ADS-B out or in.

If I don't put my transponder in standby mode won't I get traffic warnings due to my wingman? If he puts his transponder on standby I would still get traffic warnings when due to the radar coverage.

I am planning a two ship with my buddy to OSH next month. I want to take advantage of the ADS-B capability of traffic and weather enroute. Will I get continous traffic warnings due to my wingman throughout the flight?

I recently upgraded to the Skyview system with the Dynon transponder and ADS-B receiver. I plan on flying with a buddy in a two ship this weekend. He doesn't have ADS-B out or in.

If I don't put my transponder in standby mode won't I get traffic warnings due to my wingman? If he puts his transponder on standby I would still get traffic warnings when due to the radar coverage.

I am planning a two ship with my buddy to OSH next month. I want to take advantage of the ADS-B capability of traffic and weather enroute. Will I get continous traffic warnings due to my wingman throughout the flight?

Your wingman's transponder should be in "Standby" mode or "Off".

Your ADS-B system should work just fine and I am pretty sure that you will not "see" him as a traffic threat. (Actually, if he is close enough, radar probably won't see him either. :) )

Using your system is the best way to have the two of you show up to others and having his transponder off is consistent with protocol and makes ATC happy.

James

Back