What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Antennas, DME, ADSB, Comm. Where did U locate

ron sterba

Well Known Member
Getting closer to start up date this summer. (Dynon Skyviews) Where did you put your Transponder,ADSB and com antennas? Were they just mounted through the fuselage skin OR did you use a backing plate riveted to the fuselage ? My thoughts are comm just under baggage floor or just aft a foot and off center from exhaust. Closer to a rib support for rigidity. Transponder near wing tunnel and 6" inches in from fuselage edge. ADSB up front and to the right just behind co-pilot pedals maybe 3"aft of the firewall. My second thoughts for the Transponder and ADBS just 3" inches forward of the gear weld (RV9A). This way i could route my RG400 cable up along the side. I made a floor to put sound proofing in and this allows me to run wires under the floor to the panel. (I have mufflers and a 3 blade Catto prop, I want my machine QUITE! I did the DRAGSTRIP THING years ago. (Whatcha say, if you get my drift). I want it like a space capsule drifting thru space!

Always appreciate your thoughts

RV9A N421HJ Next number after the first Honda Jet! N420HJ!

Ron in Oregon

Last edited:
Antenna locations

Dual Comms. Outer bays under seat pans.

Transponder. Just behind baggage bulkhead about 6" off center

ADS-B- one one right wing out side of outer inspection plate. The puck will probably go on the glare shield.

Garmin 750 GPS. Glare shield

AFS GPS. Glare Shield

XM Weather/Music. Glare shield

VOR. Wing tip

Marker Beacon. Wing tip

Think that is it. On my first 7, I had the GPS/XM antennas mounted on a plate under the cowl.

Thanks Darwin. That wing ADSB mount, did you use a mounting plate inside the wing or just mount it on the skin close to a rib?

Ron

Use good practice. Doubler by itself is minimum. Doubler tied to structure is best.

2 Comms. One under passenger seat and one on top of fuselage (tipup).
Sometimes top one is needed to talk to tower while at end of runway.

Xponder by left fuel vent

Nav in left wingtip

2x GPS on top of fuse (one in front and one behind comm).
If I was VFR only, I would use glareshield like Darwin. GPS satelites go to horizon. Fuselage will block in one direction.

ADSB on bottom a few feet rearward of baggage bulkhead.

Last edited:
Bill, excellent, Was thinking the doubler plate about 4" square for the ADSB and Transponder and you hit on what I had second thoughts on and that is tying the double plate to a rib. BINGO! With all you builders thoughts I am now set for my next journey this week and that is 3 antennas.

Thanks guys for all pictures and guidance. It is much appreciated!

Ron in Oregon RV9A

Back