What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any suggestions for cleaning harnesses

walkman

Well Known Member
I have the big ole clunky Hookers front and rear, with the ratchet adjustment. Love 'em, but they've gotten pretty filthy over the last decade. The rear one is thoroughly oil soaked in parts.

Any suggestions to clean them? I can't just remove and stick in a washing machine with all that ironwork on them.

I have the big ole clunky Hookers front and rear, with the ratchet adjustment. Love 'em, but they've gotten pretty filthy over the last decade. The rear one is thoroughly oil soaked in parts.

Any suggestions to clean them? I can't just remove and stick in a washing machine with all that ironwork on them.

Strong detergent (Purple Power), scrub brush, water rinse, dry?

Hand wash with mild soap (woolite is good) and can use a soft brush sparingly, you don't want to abrade the belts and rinse thoroughly.

Let air dry inside or at least out of the sun.

Glenn Wilkinson

Did you say "oil Soaked"? If that is the case, I'd seriously think about getting them re-webbed. Webbing does not take kindly to oil - in the climbing world, I'd get rid of anything that had gotten oil on it.

Timely post. A coworker lost his cookies in my plane a couple weeks ago and the seatbelts were lucky the only casualty. They stink.

Did you say "oil Soaked"? If that is the case, I'd seriously think about getting them re-webbed. Webbing does not take kindly to oil - in the climbing world, I'd get rid of anything that had gotten oil on it.

Yes. Specifically smoke oil. Its mostly in the lap pad, but one side of the webbing is as well. What is the issue with webbing and oil that makes it so bad?

Yep - In earth moving equipment, safety belts are required to be replaced every three years by law (or lawsuit).

Call Hooker.

Back