What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kansas to North Carolina...

N523RV

Well Known Member
The wife and I try to make it a point to find some place to fly almost every weekend, knowing that half the time we'll get weathered out or something else will come up that keeps us from going. Such was the case for the previous two weekends when stormy weather kept us from going to two local fly-ins. We were keeping our fingers crossed that the weather would hold up for our trip to North Carolina to visit my sister Melissa this past weekend. The weather did hold up and we had a great trip!

You can read about the entire trip on our website here and you can see the nearly 200 photo's the wife took here

Here is a brief trip report which included many 'firsts' for us!

We departetd OWI Friday morning with full tanks and headed for Paris, TN which was just over two hours away and was a good stopping point to stretch and use the restroom. We climbed to 8,500 and picked up flight following. We had a wonderfull tailwind with ground speeds averaging about 172 knots at 2420 RPM. After a quick stop in Paris we continued on to Franlin, NC our final destination for this trip. Franklin is nestled in a valley of the Appalachian Mountains and this was our first mountain flying experience. As we descended out of 9500 on approach to landing we picked up quite a bit of turbulence coming off the mountains and made the right hand traffic on to runway 25 with mountains everywhere around us.

We spent the rest of the weekend with my sister checking out local waterfalls, shopping, and visiting the Appalachian Trail.

We departed Sunday morning and flew non-stop from 1A5 (Franklin) to KLXT (Lee's Summit) where the EAA chapter was BBQ'ng. The flight was 570 miles and took us just under 4.5 hours. After a bite to eat and some socializing we headed home.

The 'firsts' on this trip included:
  • Farthest flight east
  • Longest trip (~1200 miles total.)
  • Longest non-stop leg/time (570 miles, 4.5 hours)
  • First taste of mountain flying

We put 10.6 hours on the hobbs for this trip. By air it was about 4.5 hours flying each way... by land this would have taken 17 hours one way! We would have never made this trip by car.

Those of us who are flying know the power of the RV to take us places and see so many things. Those of you who are still building.. I hope the story and pictures will keep you motivated.

InFlight.jpg

P9300073-736615.JPG

P9300079-732493.JPG

P9300098-714272.JPG

Last edited:
Traveling by RV

So yours was the RV I saw taxiing in while I was hangaring my RV-6A a little after 3PM on Sunday. Later, I saw yours parked on the ramp in front of Chapter 91's hangar as I left.

I wish I had attended the event, and met you, but I had just returned from a three day trip (for work) that took me to McKinney, Texas on Friday, then on to Palm Beach, Florida on Saturday, before returning home on Sunday. I am based at LXT. When traveling for work I love to fly myself.

How cool that we were both covering the eastern half on the same days.

On Friday afternoon, just like you, I was averaging 172 kts @2400 rpm with a tailwind on my way to Florida from the Dallas area.

On Sunday, I lifted off from Palm Beach County Glades Airport in Pahokee (KPHK) on the southern shore of Lake Okeechobee at 7AM just as the sun was rising. It is the only time I took a picture on the trip. Fought a headwind most of the way home averaging about 140 kts GS at 2400 rpm (at 6500 MSL) until I got to southern Missouri when I pushed the throttle to 2650 rpm and averaged 165 KTs for the last hour. Totals were: mileage = 1027 n.m. in 7.1 hours on Sunday. I had to make fuel stops though. I must admit I was tired after flying 17 hours total in 70 hours , so I went home. Maybe next time?

You are right that this is a great way to travel and see.[IMG]http://img335.imageshack.us/img335/4167/dscn2378sf0.jpg

Back