What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Diagnosing problem with Vans EGT Gauge...

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
My Vans EGT gauge does not work. Not flying yet, but have done engine start. And after a few minutes the EGT gauge is still pegged at 0. The CHT gauge does work. These gauges are hooked to a single cylinder.

Here's what I've done so far:

1) Verified power and ground to the gauge.
2) Verified continuity in the sender wires between the gauge and the space connectors.
3) Verified that the sender wires are on the correct terminal on the gauge.

I'm not sure what to do next, but I would like to figure some way to determine if the problem is with the gauge, or the sender.

Any ideas?

Michael-

Polarity of the sensor's wires correct?
Could even be a bad sensor. They have been known to be bad, new, right out of the box.

Use a hot air gun to provide heat for testing.

If it was my plane...

I'd remove the EGT probe, attach a sensitive voltmeter to the two leads, set to read millivolts DC in the 0-30 mvDC range, heat probe with propane torch held approximately 2.5-3" away, you should read about 25 mvDC. If you see probe starting to glow, you need to back off a tad.

I do every EGT probe this way and record, as well as room temp resistance reading from lead-lead. Also record resistance reading from each individual lead to probe ground. This came in handy for me already at 100 hrs or so.

If probe is good then I can rule that out and look at connections and gage closer.

Back