What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowl Fit

rockbottom

I am fitting the cowl to my 8 and have elected to use Skybolt fasteners along the firewall and hinges along the horizontal seams. After trimming the lower cowl to fit and pulling it tight, the lower corners where the cowl meets the firewall created a gap of nearly 1/8 inch. The radius of the bend in the cowl simply didn't match that of the firewall lower corners. (see first photo)
2isgoex.jpg

In an attempt to achieve a closer fit, I trimmed away the lower corner areas in the cowl and then re-glassed the corners.
29puc1j.jpg

The problem I have now is purely cosmetic but nevertheless visually noticeable. (see the photo) You can see what amounts to a "bulge" where the cowl meets the fuselage.
t7igsl.jpg

I was careful to ensure the horizontal seam between the bottom and top halves of the cowl were level (in parallel with the canopy rails) and I managed to achieve more or less an even 1/4" gap between the front of the cowl (both halves) and the back of the propeller spinner. But the appearance in these lower corner areas is bugging me. I'm reluctant to sand or remove material from the thicker part of the lower cowl in the corner areas and then re-glass simply to achieve a smoother 'line' where the cowl meets the fuselage. I admit to being a bit of a perfectionist, but I've not seen this in other builders' airplanes. Here's a view from the inside:
vhdmxx.jpg

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Jim Baker
RV8 Firewall Fwd

I am no expert, and I am building a 7 but I am fitting the cowl and using sky bolts. When strapping the halves on the fuse, I added some wood blocks to ensure the bottom was pulled up to the floor of the fuse. If the blocks were not used then the sides pinched in but there was nothing to pull it up. I don't know if that will help but this was necessary to make that lower corner on mine wrap around. One more difference, I am using an early SJ cowl, which seems more flexible than the Vans piece.

I had some trouble lining up the cowl split line so that the horizontal and vertical sky bolts had a single fastener in common. Let me know if that is important to you.

A model or taildragger? Either way I think the straps around the lower outlet are squeezing and causing you bulge at the lower corners. Try fitting it without the straps. I see the pic without the staps and the clecos, but if they were drilled with the straps squeezing it..... How is it attatched at the top?

Last edited:
Back