What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need a Guru...

N804RV

Well Known Member
Any experienced RV builders near Mount Vernon, WA willing to come and look at my work and perhaps give me a hand for a couple of hours? Lunch is on me.

Vertical Stab Done....

I finished the vertical stab. Hadn't worked on it for about 10 days. First, because I was having trouble riveting with the flush set I was using. Someone recommended a swivel flush set. So, I ordered it from ACS. I was also out of town for a week. I was very anxious to get back in the shop and work on the airplane some more.

I'm not thrilled with my riveting work on the Vertical stab. It was my first attempt at skinning a large part with the AN426AD3 rivets, and bucking those inside rivets turned out to be a challenge, despite the fact that I practiced quite a bit on the "project" kit from Vans.

I royally boogered up a couple of rivets. One hole (on the aft edge, next to the rudder hinge bracket) is now so big, I'm not sure how I'll fix it. The others ended up with some not so great looking rivets.

I'm gonna take it to Arlington tomorrow and see if any RV builders are around to look at it.

I'm finally moving to a day shift and will have more time during the hours normal people are awake in which to go to EAA chapter meetings and hopefully meet other RV builders.

Last edited:
Ken,
Almost all rivet screw ups can be fixed - as long as you plan on paint. Getting up to the airport and having someone look at your work will be a big help. Just having someone who has done it give you an honest opinion does a lot to help with your confidence. One thing to remember, it is your a$$ that will be up in your plane. If someone sees something that could be a problem, you sure want them to tell you - even if feelings and ego are at risk.

Have fun and get involved with the EAA at an airport near you.

Back