What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fastback Conversion for RV-4?

rvbldr3170

I just bought an older (mid 90's) RV-4 kit that doesn't have much work done on it, and I have a question.
Does anyone market a fastback conversion for the RV-4?

Also, does anyone have performance numbers for a fastback vs. bubble canopy
I know there is a burble at the rear of the bubble canopy that robs some speed, that the fastback doesn't have .

I want to maximize speed from the outset without resorting to brute horsepower. So, I'm planning on using every aerodynamic mod I can, and also building it as light as possible. Any input?

Go Back...

Bryan, if you can figure out how to go back a few months of threads, go to one titled, "fuselage progress". There was a long thread on fastback RV4's including pictures of the Mean Green RV4. There were also several people who have bought the John Harmon fastback parts for the HR2 and put them on a 4. Bruce even attached pictures of the mod. Give it a shot...

Since I now own a HR2 I kinda like the fastback look too.
RR
www.harmonrocket.com

RV 4 Fastback

I just finsihed my RV-4 fastback conversion phase: I got three tailcone bulkheards from Harmon (HR2) as well as the top tailcone skin. Everything else stock RV. The bulkheads needed to be modded to fit slightly but lined up very nicely for skin fit, even the tabs for riveting. The skin needed to be trimmed. The original HR2 is simply a modded RV-4 kit and the tail cone is virtually the same so designed for this. Most 'modern' HR2s opt for the RV-8 tail to counteract the increased P-factor/torgue of the 0-540 but older ones had the RV 4 tail usually (and hopefully some form of rudder trim).

So, I thought the HR bulkheads/skin was easy. Cutting and fitting took two days....6 hours.

Jj
Building RV 4 fastback
RV-6
YAK 50

Back