What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gretz Trim Kit

ChiefPilot

Well Known Member
I'm to the point where I'd like to mount my elevator trim servo but it appears that Gretzaero no longer makes/sells their trim servo mounting kit. I'd really like to mount it on the rear fuselage deck as opposed to within the elevator.

Would be a big deal to roll my own kit? As I understand it, the kit includes a bracket for mounting the servo and a cable to connect the tab to the servo. Is that all there is to it?

Thanks!
-Brad

Maybe if you call they will fax you a piece call out and drawings? That would get you going in the right direction.

LifeofReiley said:
Maybe if you call they will fax you a piece call out and drawings? That would get you going in the right direction.
I've tried contacting them a couple of times without success. I assume they are still in business, but unresponsive to e-mail or phone calls....

I have that installation on my airplane. To answer your question, the basics of the kit are a mounting plate, and a push-pull cable.

Thankfully, it ain't rocket science.

Old thread, I know, but i'm thinking of converting my manual-trim system to an electric, and mounting the servo in the fuselage as well. Does anyone know if there's a "kit" for this now? Or has anyone rolled their own and have a parts list?

Is there an advantage to having it in the fuse? I am getting ready to convert to electric trim and was going to use the Van's kit. Seems like getting to the servo easily by having it in the horizontal stab would be better than burying it in the fuse.

Anyone have more info on using -10 parts?

Update - I kept reading threads on doing this and found info that said non-prepunched kits require unriveting part of the skin to do the conversion! Gotta call Van's Monday for more info but if true the Gretz kit or perhaps the RV-10 idea would be better.

Last edited:
Is there an advantage to having it in the fuse? I am getting ready to convert to electric trim and was going tonuse the Van's kit. Seems like getting to the servo easily by having it in the horizontal stab would be better than burying it in the fuse.

Anyone have more info on using -10 parts?

The only advantage is the existing cable setup. Mine is the Van's kit in the horizontal stab. It works extremely well.
L.Adamson ---- RV6A

The second advantage is not having to re-balance your elevator after installing a servo aft of the hinge line. If you retrofit a servo into the elevator, you need to add lead to your counterbalance horns to offset the weight. I'd prefer not to have the extra weight.

The servo in the fuse-mounted mod is mounted on the flat section under the vertical stab, so it's not "buried" at all. Removing the tailplane fairings gives you complete access. Maybe better than having it in the elevator.

One cable from the rv10 kit plus maybe the mount would be an easy solution

Peter
I am looking at using an RV-10 cable in my early 90s RV-6A. The cable is a little long making it more difficult. I could make (& have tested) a 180 turn to keep it mounted with easy access.

Has anyone done this? How about a photo?

Thanks,
GH

I am looking at using an RV-10 cable in my early 90s RV-6A. The cable is a little long making it more difficult. I could make (& have tested) a 180 turn to keep it mounted with easy access.

Has anyone done this? How about a photo?

Thanks,
GH
As a 'bump' to this, is there any source for a short (shorter than the RV-10 cable) cable to use for trim with servo mounted on rear deck (beneath VS)?

GH

Just a thought;
Many have installed the remote compass on the empanage deck. A trim motor in the same spot may effect the compass, or prevent you from installing one there later.
If I convert my (RV-8) manual trim to electric, I've been thinking about shortening the cable and mounting the actuator under the baggage compartment.

Back