What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

XM Weather vis-a-vis ADS-B

newtech

Well Known Member
Patron
I currently have XM Weather on a GPSMap 696 and love it but will I be as pleased with a Garmin GDL 39 displaying on a GDU 370 and a Nexus 7?

I know you dont pick up weather until 1,500' or so but is the display and information as good as XM?

It is not the same. From the sound of your post, you may not be as happy with it.

Well, the displayed resolution of the Nexrad images is higher with xm. With ADSB the pixels are more apparent. But, if you consider the latency (time delay between observation and uplinking the data), the xm data is not really better - it just looks better. For $400 per year I voted to go with ADSB.

Dropped XM and never looked back, I get more info (I had the 'light' plan) for 0 $$, what's not to like!

Same here....It is great for the purpose our planes are designed for.

Just my opinion...If you are pushing the limits of FIS-B, then most likely you are stretching the limits of an RV. (Assuming you are flying in an area with FIS-B available which according to the latest map on the ADS-B site is everywhere in the continental US.)

Last edited:
Yup. Not missing the XM and the cost!

Plus, since I was on the light XM plan I had no wind info. With ADSb you get the wind info too. Not real detailed winds, but you get a little and thats better then none.

i like the mobility of use in three aircraft. the 496 xm is the best, i am hooked. considering what my fuel bills are (ouch) i will stick with the xm for now.
IMG_1149.jpg

ADS-B vs XM

XM has better radar resolution, plus satellite images (and a few other items) are not available via ADS-B.....

HOWEVER!

For $0/year vs $420/year (and up) this is a no brainer.

Of course I am biased since we manufacture the Pathfinder ADS-B receiver.

Chuck Newman
Flight Data Systems
VAF Advertiser

How satisfied you are with ADS-B depends on where you are located, the current level of coverage in that area, and the terrain. We've got XM in all our planes - ADS-B in one, and we're just beginning the see how the coverage is here in the Eastern Sierra for the ADS-B. Saw our first traffic yesterday.

I really like being able to see the weather before I take off from a remote field with the FBO locked up and no good cell coverage. So I guess your satisfaction also depends on how you use your airplane - lots of us DO fly them in IFR conditions, and for that, NEXRAD isn't at the top of my list of useful products.

Back