What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying to Key West in June

Tim 8-A

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Our 30th anniversary is coming up, so I was letting my wife pick the location where to spend it. She mentioned Key West so I didn't let she catch her breath before I was making reservations. I Haven't been there and I should be able to fly myself. What is FL flying like middle of June? any issues leaving my plane tied down for 3-4 days this time of year?
I am looking at routes, it looks like about 8 hour flight, too much for one day. I am looking at staying the first night in Tallahassee, second day, make a fuel stop in Lakeland and then down the coast to Key West.
Anything we need to be sure to see please let me know.
Any recommendations would be great.
BTW we are coming in after Pride week ends, just our luck its the same :confused:month.
Thanks,
Tim

You may find a number of threads on key west with a search.

I went on line and bought a snorkel trip, sunset sail, and hotel from one of the huckster companies. It was good. The hotel turned out to be the Double Tree just north east of the airport. Really handy because they provided free shuttle to the GA ramp and also an hourly hotel bus to and from Duvall St. No car or taxi needed the entire stay. Hotel itself was nice too.

Wear comfy shoes.

TLH fuel stop

Before you get to Tallahassee, Stop in at Quincy, FL (2J9) for fuel. Quincy is 18 miles NW of TLH and usually has the best price around for fuel. It is self service and is currently $4.95/gal. Million Air at TLH is $5.99 for self and $7.44 for full service.

Lake city

We stopped at lake city on our way to key west last year and again last week on way to Bahamas. Best ga fbo we have found in Florida. Great gas great ramp help new fbo and free crew car Hotels are very close to best Olive Garden we have ever eaten at! :D

We enjoyed key west but found it like Vegas. A couple nights is plenty Next time will stay on marathon. Cedar key is a very unique stop if you have a spare night as is jekly island on the on the other side Everglades airpark was a fun fuel stop after cedar key. Enjoy your trip!

Make plans to fly early in the day if possible, as there will likely be turbulence and convection in the afternoons. Florida in the summer...

We fly down to Key West from central FL a couple of times a year. I second the suggestion to get fuel in Quincy, FL. Cool place, but I don't know what the hotel situation is. I also second the suggestion for Lake City. Great airport and FBO. I am sure there are hotels available there, and the FBO will almost certainly help you with transportation.
No car needed in Key West, in fact, a car can be a real PITA since parking is at a premium. We take a taxi from the airport to the hotel, and back.
We always stay at The Eden House hotel after it was recommended by Bruce Sacks, on this forum, a few years ago. You will be offered a complimentary cold beer or soft drink at check in. It is a low key, laid back kind of place. If you are looking for a Marriott Resort kind of experience, the Eden House is probably not for you. Beautiful courtyard with a nice pool and hot tub, hammocks and porch swings abound. Free self-serve happy hour at the pool every afternoon from 4 to 5 PM. The restaurant connected to the hotel (Azur) gives hotel guests a 20% discount on breakfast and lunch, and will deliver lunch to the pool. Really one of the best breakfast's in town. Lots of choices on rooms. My advice is to pay a little extra for the deluxe or large deluxe room. The smaller ones are really small! They rent bikes at the hotel, and some of the package deals come with bikes. Bikes are a great way to get around Key West. The hotel is about 5 or 6 blocks from Duvall Street(and that is perfect for us!), but just a couple of blocks from the seaport with it's restaurants and bars. Several sunset tours and snorkeling tours leave from the seaport. The ferry to the Dry Tortugas/Fort Jefferson National Park also leaves from the seaport. It is an all day trip, but is one of the best things to do while in Key West, IMHO. The Hemingway House, The Truman Little White House, and the Butterfly Conservatory are on our list of favorite things to see. Lots more to see and do, and tons of good restaurants.
I have not had any problems leaving my airplane tied down outside. The ramp at the FBO can be crowded, but the line service folks are first rate and very helpful.
Have fun in the Conch Republic!

Last edited:
Consider a fuel stop at Brooksville, FL (KBKV). Due to gas wars, it's become one of the lower prices in the area & 1.5 RV hours to KEYW.
You might want to consider the local bus service that circles the island every 1/2 hour, clockwise & counter clockwise for $2 and usually stops right at your hotel.
As others have said, fly early to avoid building thunderstorms.

1. Fly in the morning. Wife will like it better, cooler, smoother and will see more.
2. Quincy is good for fuel, but there are other options as well. Perry-Foley (81J) and Bartow (BOW) usually have cheap fuel.
3. Thunderstorms can come up fast so make sure your plane is tied down well and covered. Gust locks are recommended.
4. Key West is nice, but if your wife is into beaches, there aren't any real beaches there...some of the hotels have their own man made beaches. The Keys are all about fishing, boating, etc.
5. Take a lunch trip to Marathon...there are a couple of nice restaurants there and the FBO runs a shuttle back and forth to them.
6. There are some great B&Bs there. I can personally recommend the Bananas Foster Bed and Breakfast. Very nice with a small pool in the back. If you're an early riser as I am, they have breakfast all laid out with fresh coffee by the pool. I've been the first one up at times and have had it all to myself. Very peaceful.

Have fun!

gas

Quincy (2J9) is a great place to stop for fuel. You can also stay at a nice Bed & Breakfast with pick up at the airport. The McFarlin House is the name and their phone number is 850-875-2526. If you have any trouble, you can give me a call. I'll be happy to see that your visit to Quincy is a good one. David Watson
850-508-3067.

PS - Enjoy Key West. You'll love it.

Good suggestions coming in, I'm not locked into a specific fuel stop or over night stay on the way down and back.
I will defiantly look into stopping at Quincy and staying at The McFarlin House thanks for the suggestion.
I have made reservations at the Chelsea House for our stay at Key West.
Thanks,
Tim

Back