What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HOW EASY IS INSTALL A DIGIFKIGHT TO SERVO IN A FLYING RV9?

henriquerv9

HI ALL,

I AM CONSIDERING INSTALLING A DIGIFLIGHT II AUTOPILOT IN MY RV9A. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW HARD IS TO INSTALL THE SERVOS IN THE WING AND WHERE IS THE BEST POSITION TO. ARE NECESSARY TO REMOVE ANY SKIN? AND ABOUT THE ALT SERVO?

ANY INPUTS WILL BE VERY WELCOME.

HENRIQUE CASTRO

easy peasy

If you are installing the Trutrak servo, the include a very nice mounting bracket that will fit on the aileron bellcrank. Should be a very easy install. Would only have to disconnect the pushrods and then put the bracket and servo in. You can do it all through the inspection hole. Be sure to specify which wing (L/R) you want to mount the servo.

img_5329.jpg

The pitch servo also has a nice bracket. It mounts to the keel beam and bottom skin. Again, should be really easy to add after the aircraft is flying.

One of the reasons I went with TT is the quality and ease of installation of their servos. They make it easy for the RV's.

Last edited:
Installing A/P

Installing the altitude servo mount will be a bit challenging just due to having to work inside the fuselage behind the baggage bulkhead. It calls for 4 rivets shared with the belcrank support rib along the stiffening angle, and 4 rivets through the bottom of the fuselage skin. The bellcrank needs to have a hole drilled as well of course.

Then you have to run the wires. SteinAir now has servo wire available which I highly recommend. It is a pre-twisted bundle of the right number and size of different colored wires, and is cheaper than buying the same number of individual wires.

Last edited:
DGlaeser said:
Installing the altitude servo mount will be a bit challenging just due to having to work inside the fuselage behind the baggage bulkhead. It calls for 4 rivets shared with the belcrank support rib along the stiffening angle, and 4 rivets through the bottom of the fuselage skin. The bellcrank needs to have a hole drilled as well of course.

I just installed the altitude servo in my RV6A which is much like the 9. I did drill out the bottom fusalge rivets, put the servo mount in place & redrilled up through the existing holes.

On my plane I had three effected rivets in the bellcrank support rib. After making a mess of removing the first rivet, thanks to confined space and being somewhat uncomfortable; I drilled holes slightly larger than the (already set) rivet heads in the bracket, then placed new rivits between the originals. Also added a few in the web for good measure.

I had already ran wires to the servo location and didn't purchass the harness. But there is a lot of little connections to make. A harness would be worth it!

L.Adamson

Back