What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any Hangar space at SPG or PIE?

roadrunner20

Well Known Member
I'm relocating from BKV to pinellas county(near Madeira Beach) in June/July.

Does anyone have or want to share a hangar at one of these 2 airports?
Or sublet an existing hangar?
I'm getting sticker shock at some of the monthly rates.

I'll temporarily keep my hangar at BKV, but it's 65 miles from our new house.

You can send me a PM, if you have any ideas or options.

Best of luck to you, Manatee (grass) has pull through shade hangers for about 125.00, CLW has shade hangers at about 350.00 last time I checked. PIE is north of that, I have never checked Whitted. I am still building but would be interested in sharing if you find one we both can fit into. I am in Clearwater by the way.

Best of luck to you, Manatee (grass) has pull through shade hangers for about 125.00, CLW has shade hangers at about 350.00 last time I checked. PIE is north of that, I have never checked Whitted. I am still building but would be interested in sharing if you find one we both can fit into. I am in Clearwater by the way.

I'll keep you in mind if I find anything.
I flew into Manatee last Sunday to check out their shade hangars.
It could be an option. It's about 30 miles away.

The big problem I had with Manatee is that after one TO & L, my leading edge, cowl and canopy were splattered with bugs(hundreds).

CLW shades are $257. I just don't like their runway. They have a couple big dips in it at the worst times. One launches you too early, the other relaunches you after landing.

My best option right now is a gang hangar at SPG($300) during the rainy season and ramp($100) for the winter. In the gang hangar they'd place me so I can pull the RV out without their help or moving other AC.

I have a complete current list of prices all over the area if you want it.

If 30 miles is ok with you then why not consider Tampa Exec? Should be less than $300 for a full T. They have other options less expensive too such as shade hangars (roof only) and I can't remember the name but like a T hangar with walls but no front wall/door. I think I paid $260 for that.

If 30 miles is ok with you then why not consider Tampa Exec? Should be less than $300 for a full T. They have other options less expensive too such as shade hangars (roof only) and I can't remember the name but like a T hangar with walls but no front wall/door. I think I paid $260 for that.

Thanks Tom,
You're correct. I hadn't realized that Tampa Exec wasn't that much further than 48X. Must be because it's more traffic intensive. I'll check them out tomorrow. Peter O is close too but expensive as well.

Thanks Tom,
You're correct. I hadn't realized that Tampa Exec wasn't that much further than 48X. Must be because it's more traffic intensive. I'll check them out tomorrow. Peter O is close too but expensive as well.

Sure, let me know the current rates when you get them. I sold my airplane about 1.5 years ago to build the RV14. The FBO is Leading Edge.

Sure, let me know the current rates when you get them. I sold my airplane about 1.5 years ago to build the RV14. The FBO is Leading Edge.

$150 open shade hangar
$250 closed shade hangar, taxi or pull thru
$250 T hangar, old style

Tom, Thanks for the recommendation.
This looks like the best option at this time since I still will work in Tampa.

Better head there from work, the best time from Madeira Beach to Tampa Exec is going to be an hour, and 90 minutes is not unusual, but those are not bad prices.

Update on KCLW runway

Dan -- welcome to Pinellas --- just to let you know, the runway at KCLW was renovated last year, and another 600ft added. I know what you meant about the old runway, and taxiway --- tough on the "A" model gear.

Much improved, now, and would enjoy having you "hang around".

Take care,

Ron

Dan -- welcome to Pinellas --- just to let you know, the runway at KCLW was renovated last year, and another 600ft added. I know what you meant about the old runway, and taxiway --- tough on the "A" model gear.

Much improved, now, and would enjoy having you "hang around".

Take care,

Ron

That could be the game changer if they fixed the runway.
Looks like I'll have to stop in this weekend to check it out. I was based there 10 years ago and liked your EAA chapter.

$150 open shade hangar
$250 closed shade hangar, taxi or pull thru
$250 T hangar, old style

Tom, Thanks for the recommendation.
This looks like the best option at this time since I still will work in Tampa.

Great! And if you find something else I do not think they require anything other than a 30 day notice.

That could be the game changer if they fixed the runway.
Looks like I'll have to stop in this weekend to check it out. I was based there 10 years ago and liked your EAA chapter.

Be sure to check out our chapter too at Tampa Exec (Ch175). We meet every 4th Saturday for a nice pancake, eggs, and sausage breakfast at 8am, followed by a program at 9am. Happy to have you as my guest.

Be sure to check out our chapter too at Tampa Exec (Ch175). We meet every 4th Saturday for a nice pancake, eggs, and sausage breakfast at 8am, followed by a program at 9am. Happy to have you as my guest.

Thanks Tom, I'll check it out. I added it to my calendar

Welcome

Dan: glad to see you're moving to Pinellas. I keep my RV-7A at The Landings at PIE where rents are ~$500/mo unless you can find one to buy in which case they seem to be selling for around $80,000. I was able to buy mine very cheap from an estate. Looks like there are quite a number of RV builders/pilots in the area so hopefully we can coordinate some get togethers.

Dan: glad to see you're moving to Pinellas. I keep my RV-7A at The Landings at PIE where rents are ~$500/mo unless you can find one to buy in which case they seem to be selling for around $80,000. I was able to buy mine very cheap from an estate. Looks like there are quite a number of RV builders/pilots in the area so hopefully we can coordinate some get togethers.

$80,000 is very reasonable.

Over at Tampa North Aero Park in Wesley Chapel / Lutz area, rents are pretty high for a T-Hangar. But they also have hangars for sale. Many have been purchased but many are still available. Their most expensive ones would be end units with a window, a bigger electrical box, bathroom with shower. Cost from the builder ranges between $91,000 to $143,000 for the end unit with all the extra goodies.

But here is the thing. Even though they are not all sold from the builder, some owners have been trying to sell theirs. One owner put it up for auction. Opening bid was $30,000 and winning bid was $43,000 plus 5% fee. Heck of a deal! Although your condo association fees cover the runway maintenance too. This is a private airport. These are brand new hangars.

Back