What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Plastic Floor Mat to Protect Plans

ccrawford

Well Known Member
I was trying to find a material to use on my workbench that was clear so I could view a set of plans, and tough enough to withstand scrapes from metal edges.

After looking around, I went to Office Depot and picked up a hardwood floor computer chair mat. These don't have the normal spikes that you would find on a mat for carpet, so they are perfectly flat. It cost me $25 for a large mat which is big enough to hold two plan sheets stacked one above the other.

You can even order a custom size, if you want a mat that will cover your whole table without that extra 'tab' that sticks out.

Here's how mine looks:

floor_chair_mat.jpg

Also, Aircraft Components and Equipment (Ace Hardware) sells clear acrylic sheets the exact size of the plans, works great. If I remember, it cost me around $15. (Jeff Point strikes again).

Try your local hardware store

Here in California, my local hardware store (OSH, aka Orchard) has wide rolls of plastic. I had them cut off eight feet or so for a dollar-odd a foot.

Back