What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Use Highlighters on Plans

ccrawford

Well Known Member
I originally started out using a single highlighter to make it easier to find the various Views/Details and ended up highlighting almost everything with it's own color.

I use yellow for AN470 (non-flush) rivets, orange for AN426 (flush) rivets, purple for views/details, green for instructions (drill this, enlarge this, etc), blue for notes (to make sure I see it!), and pink for any hardware (bolts, screws, etc).

Distinguishing the types of rivets is very important for me, as I will be much less likely to forget to countersink/dimple for flush rivets.. now I can see at a glance if there are any orange marks and if so, what piece they are on.

Here's an example:

highlight_plans.jpg

highliner

You and I think alike. Scanning the plans time after time...I had to think of a way to keep everything in order (in my mind anyway) the item you are looking for is highlighted by a colour weather it's a rivot call out or parts ident. simple! :)

Maybe it's just me but shouldn't the plans be done in color? I work on electrical schematics all the time and the ones that are color coded are soo much better to work with.

Tell Van's about it. Color printers just aren't that expensive...

Chuck

Vert Stab

Wait until you get to the Vert Stab.
There is such a proliferation of rivet sizes and types on the RV-7 Vert Stab Spar that I needed about eight High Light pens.
Pete.

Related technique

I never was smart enough to mark up the plans, but I usually used a Sharpie to mark rivet sizes on the metal parts, especially where they would change such as where an edge comes to a rib or a corner and you need a longer one in the single spot. I would mark the AN# and draw a line along the line of rivets like a very big parenthetical bracket.

Back