What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smokey....Help!

BryanArd

Smokey, I have, as I have come to find out, a rare engine...IO-320 E2B. It has as a vertical draft Bendix servo. I want ram air, and I do not want to use the lower cowling with the big (ugly) air scoop, as on -4's with 0-360s.

I have been thinking about trading in my sump for a forward facing one. I would then have to replace my induction tubes, because the geometry would be off. Then I would have to cut the bottom cowl and build a new fiberglass intake.

That is a lot of $$$ and time!!! I saw your pics on another thread. Would your setup work for a fuel injected engine? Airflow Performance is overhauling my system, and I was thinking of using one of their round intakes. Any thoughts on them?

Bottom line, I want to keep the sleek looks of the -4 cowling, but have ram air. (what's wrong with having your cake and eating it too?)

If anyone else has pics of their setup, pleeeeaaaassssseeee post them!!!

BryanArd said:
Smokey, I have, as I have come to find out, a rare engine...IO-320 E2B. It has as a vertical draft Bendix servo. I want ram air, and I do not want to use the lower cowling with the big (ugly) air scoop, as on -4's with 0-360s.

I have been thinking about trading in my sump for a forward facing one. I would then have to replace my induction tubes, because the geometry would be off. Then I would have to cut the bottom cowl and build a new fiberglass intake.

That is a lot of $$$ and time!!! I saw your pics on another thread. Would your setup work for a fuel injected engine? Airflow Performance is overhauling my system, and I was thinking of using one of their round intakes. Any thoughts on them?

Bottom line, I want to keep the sleek looks of the -4 cowling, but have ram air. (what's wrong with having your cake and eating it too?)

If anyone else has pics of their setup, pleeeeaaaassssseeee post them!!!
Bryan, I'm sure Smokey will answer, but I've just been down this path with my RV-3B. Having done a custom cowl for my RV-8 I have no interest in doing it again, ever. Personally, I think the intake scoop on a cheek cowled RV looks good, but of course that's subjective. The 360 intake scoop does sit slightly lower to allow for the taller f.i. servo but also several inches more forward, and its wider in the back thereby changing the visual proportions. Bottom line is that visually it doesn't look bigger than the 320 intake scoop, I actually think it looks better. I had a 320 scoop cowl fully fitted and installed before discovering that I couldn't get my Van's FAB to work with my f.i. servo body. Do some research on it and you'll find that the Van's FAB is actually a very efficient solution airflow-wise.

Visual comparison of O-320 intake scoop...
http://www.romeolima.com/RV3works/Gallery/DSC_0619.jpg
to O-360 intake scoop...
http://www.romeolima.com/RV3works/Gallery/DSC_0898.jpg

The full story...
http://www.romeolima.com/RV3works/Airframe/airframe.htm#Finish

Best,

Breathe Deeply...

Hi Bryan,

With Randy's excellent post above, I'll try to add my "dos centavos". First, I don't like Van's FAB airbox. I have helped others install one, but I prefer my Ram air box. Why? It's very simple and has stood the test of time, and it fits into my lower cowl scoop easily.It also makes my lower cowl easier to remove and install.
I recently bought an early Harmon Rocket 2 "fixer upper". I immediately noted the Rockets induction system was similar to the Bandit, a ram air induction with filtered bypass air filter. The sump is a carb setup but the Rocket has Bendix FI. The scoop/airbox is a very neat 90 degree bend aluminum ram air duct with a flange welded on the front for the fuel injector module with a bypass valve for the filter. Very slick.
The Rocket's cowl induction scoop is just below the prop spinner and the ram air tube fits up against the front lip, like the Bandit. It could easily fit in a lower scoop like the RV4. I attached a picture of the ram air setup on the Rocket and the Bandit to a previous thread a month or so ago when Bruce was installing his induction system. If you can't find the pictures, let me know, I'll re-post.
I think this is a production part for the Rocket guys, I'll ask around and see where you could get one. As far as the RV4 goes, my simple ram airbox has been trouble free and performance friendly for over 1000 hours.
Let me know how I can help...

Rob Ray

my solution

I have the exact same problem as you... IO-320/rv-4, the bendix is slightly taller. My solutioin is to make a flatter/wider ram-air scoop with a filtered alternate air similar to Smoky's arrangement. (see previous posts ~1mo ago).

Just today I started on the the plug for the scoop, it went well and I think I'm on the right track. I can post more details if you care to read.

-Bruce

Rob and Bruce, thanks for the info. Randy, the pics were great! Airflow Performance sells a 90 degree elbow...wonder if I could use it and get the servo closer to the sump, and use the lower cowl for the 0-320.

Bruce, if you have any pics of your setup, please post them, thanks!

Rob, since you are not far from me (LA...not Lower Alabama, but Louisiana :D ) maybe you could stop by if you are in the area. I believe you helped a friend of a friend (Andre' Olivier) buy a -4 not long ago. We could get some gumbo and talk about the ANG (former 159th FG member, current airline type).

Take care, Bryan

Will Fly for Gumbo...

Bryan, Sounds like a plan. It looks like Bruce's Ram Air Scoop will be the way to go, I love mine.
I am going to the Reklaw TX, campout/fly-in on Oct 27-29 with several buddies www.reklawflyin.com
I'll bring the Rocket by and let you see the setup. Are you near Andre'?

RR

very close!

Rob, he keeps his -4 at Shaw Field...I grew up with Jimmy. It is about 4 miles from my house. I'm also very close to Hammond (KHDC) on the northshore of Lake Ponchartrain. I will be on vacation during that time, so it might work out. Give me a call 985-351-5655.

Take care, Bryan

Back