What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Western trip ideas

acroflyrgirl

Well Known Member
I'm planning a little birthday trip to take my hubby on. My thoughts are Catalina Island, but I need a very good back up in a different direction so I have a good wx "out".
The specifics: We'll do an overnight at some B&B. We want to go on Sat May 3, returning the following afternoon. So a destination within about a tank or less would be good. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 400-500 NM limit.

I can see fog at Catalina wreaking havoc on those plans.

Maybe Durango CO can be a good backup. I am a sponge, looking for ideas...

Furnace Creek-----not B&B, but if you have never been there, it is a good adventure.

Alternate Destinations

Agree that Catalina Wx is iffy for VFR flights.

Friends love the desert resorts in Borrego Valley for dinners, tennis, or golf. La Casa del Zorro is 3.3 miles from L08 and Borrego Springs Resort is 2.4.

I love desserts at Sedona's airport restaurant; boss loved red rock vistas at Sky Ranch Lodge, which adjoins KSEZ. When weather at home threatened, they were very understanding; we checked out a day early with no penalty.

I mentioned this to the boss, & she pointed out the Temecula Valley wineries near French Valley (F70); Ponte, South Coast, & Wilson Creek all have excellent restaurants, & the first two have hotels (I believe.) These, and many more, are within a short drive of the airport.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Maybe Durango CO can be a good backup.

You just can't go wrong with Durango; land at Animas Airpark (00C), friendly FBO there. An Avis rental car shop is just down the hill and they'll pick you up at the airport... by the time you tie down and get the canopy cover on they'll be waiting with a car. Plenty of hotels, condos and B&Bs to be found. Nice downtown area, Animas River running alongside, there's the train, or a drive up Hwy 550 to Silverton and Ouray. Oh, and they have beer there, lots of it! Four breweries in one small town, crazy... if you're downtown, Carver's Brewpub is kinda "meh"; hit Steamworks instead.

I've always liked a one night stop in Santa Fe, NM (KSAF)

Friendly FBO and not too far out of town with on-site weekend car rentals.

Chino!

Visit the Planes of Fame museum and breakfast at Flo's diner. It's a pretty smelly approach though (diary feed lots)

Winslow, AZ

Having just watched a PBS special on the Harvey Girls, It reminded me this place. A shorter trip than the others.

Not much to see in Winslow once you have seen the "Standing on the Corner" part of Route 66, but the beautiful restored La Posada hotel is definitely a place for a one night romantic stay.

http://www.laposada.org/

A 30 minute walk from the airport - designed by Lindbergh for Transcontinental Air Transport - or a short cab ride.

Back