What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

torque wrench extension

Tandem46

Well Known Member
Anyone know where to buy an extension for a torque wrench. I have a whole set of crows feet, but they're so short that I can't get them to work with my torque wrench on the prop bolts (constant speed). I've searched the internet all night with no luck. I need an open-end wrench. I did find a box extension on a site somewhere, but that won't work. I guess last resort I could weld something up. I see the extensions in drawings all the time, but can't find anyone that actually sells them.

Tobin

You can buy that extension from Hartzell for $350.00 (no kidding) or take an old open end wrench, cut it in half, and weld it to a socket. That's what Hartzell suggested. It works fine. Just adjust the torque based on the added length of the whole deal. Add the length to your torque wrench, divide by 12 and divide your torque by that #. I think that's right!

Roberta

It depends

On your conversion just be careful on your measurements and conversions. Measure the actual length from the application of force by your hand to the application of force on the fastener being tightened. Also, the conversions involve the units marked on the wrench. I'm not going to get into the various conversions that can be made but if you are to the point of torquing the prop bolts you have long ago demonstrated your ability to work out this problem.

Bob Axsom

I bought a 3/4" wrench at Sears, open end on one end, flexible ratchet closed end on the other. On the closed end I installed a bolt with a 3/4" head. Washers between the head and the nut capture it so the bolt stays trapped in the wrench. The open end goes on the prop bolt, the torque wrench goes on the bolt at the other end of the wrench. Of course you have to recalculate the needed torque with the longer extension -- the wrench I used was 13" on center.

Anyway, its a little awkward, but works fine and is a cheap (that's me) solution. I've had to take my prop off several times for various reasons and have used this setup to tighten it back down each time.

Back