What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airports/Airparks in Southern New Hampshire

txnbuilder

I am considering moving from Central Texas to Southern New Hampshire, (around Manchester). I'd like to see if I can get a firsthand account of the 'airport situation' over there.

So far, I know about the Manchester airport, and Boire Field in Nashua. Is there any other GA-friendly (i.e., with GA hangars) airport within reasonable driving distance of Manchester? What are hangar prices like? (or are they rarer than plutonium just like here?)

Also, do people do any VFR flying during winter? (This texas boy's worst winter was when we had 1/2" of snow for four hours one day a couple of years ago!)

Thanks!

txnbuilder

Well, now that's alotta questions there!

It ain't bad flying around here. It is no midwest, but not bad.

I fly all year long. It can be cold in the winter warming up the engine. If you dress for it, you are okay.

There is an airpark in Ossipee, NH called Windsock Village. Nice place, I hear.

Nashua is a good place. The hangars are pretty reasonable for around this area. Plymouth, MA is about $350 per month. I think Nashua is less.

Come on up. The weather is fine.

:) CJ

ASH

I lived is Southern NH for 17 years, learned to fly at ASH.

The area is very populated, a bedroom community for Boston. Beautiful countryside up north, (Concord and above). Expensive to live in, state is funded entirely by property taxes, so those go up endlessly. Traffic can be pretty bad at times. Snow can be heavy in late winter.

The flying is great. ASH is the big GA airport, nestled up next to MHT (class C). ASH is intensive - has one runway and runs simultaneous left and right patterns. There are a lot of students - they always fly the pattern on the "front" of the airport. Good controllers.

I don't know about hangar space being "reasonable" - at ASH it was about $500 per month for a T, with a 3+ year wait list. Our plane sat outside.

Lots of good stuff to fly to in a short distance.

I think it will be a big change from Texas.

Good luck, hope this helps.

dave

NH

In less than one hour of driving you can reach Concord, Hampton, Rochester and Portsmouth. Hangar prices range from $250 to $350, but getting a hangar at $250 means a long wait. Flying around here is nice. Within 60 miles you got mountains, ocean and lakes. Winter is a different story but I used to live in Winnipeg, MB (Canada). This is "Florida" to me. We do not get deep freeze here for long, just a few days here and there. You can always find good weather in winter to do some flying but the best place is by the fireplace.

NH

Thank you all for the info. It'll probably be a couple of months before this thing is decided, but at least this gives me another data point for the big decision :)

As far as winter goes, I figured it can't be so bad if people keep flying. Just like 110 degree heat here. Nobody likes it, but we just suck it up :D

Not so bad....

I have wondered how you guys do it with the heat down there. I almost took my plane down for maintenance this summer. Temps in the 90's and vis 6-8 miles. That's lousy wx around here.

Anyway, hangars are generally expensive around here. Many at Ash are $5 -$600 /month. That is pretty typical. I think Concord may be a bit less but not sure. A good sized T hangar might fit 2 RVs.

Also, Lawrence Ma. (LWM) is just over the border and there are quite a few people who live east/southeast of Manchester who base there (me included).

Ping us again if it comes together for you and we can get you more detail.
Good luck with your move.

John

Back