What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best airport to visit NYC

JordanGrant

Well Known Member
Hey fellas,
I'm planning to visit my brother, who lives in New York City, in a few weeks. What is the best airport to fly into as far as landing fees, hangar availability, and access to the city is concerned?

Thanks for the help!

Several years back we flew into TEB, I'm pretty sure it was First Aviation Services. Called in advance, they said walk out of their parking lot north to the corner and catch the bus direct into the city. After landing we were at the NYC Port Authority bus station in less than 30 minutes. Yes there are landing and overnight fees but it is convienient. Check AirNav for fuel prices :eek: and you can see some of the FBO's (5 or 6) don't want piston traffic.

David Lloyd

Other possibles

I used Farmingdale (FRG) on Long Island once. OK, reasonable cost, but quite a distance from the city. LRI to get to the city.
What about White Plains - only 1/2 hour into the city, I'm told. Haven't tried it yet.

Last edited:
How about Danbury Conn?

We flew in to Danbury, Conn. when we were up there. My niece lived in Buffalo, NY and it was the closest airport. We caught the subway into the city about a block from her apt. I would image that Danbury would also have a metro close.

The folks at Danbury were very accomodating and it was a nice airport. The ride into the city from White Plains would be closer by about three or four stops.

Anyway, it was a great trip.

Wes Hays
N844WB -6A
Winters, TX

nyc airports

HPN is easier to get in an out of than TEB. TEB seems busier and (controllers) have less tolerance for the un-initiated. On the positive side there are quite a few fbo's to choose from at both places. Almost goes without saying , but avoid sig at either place. West Air at HPN would be a decent choice.

All of the above suggestions are OK, but you will pay thru the nose.
My vote is for Linden airport (KLDJ). No landing fee. 30 minutes by cab to the city. It is a few miles south of EWR (Newark Liberty). Hangars at any facilty in the NYC area are impossible. If an FBO would be willing to put you in a hanger it would be very expensive ($30-50 a day). Typical hangar rents in the NY-NJ-CT area are well over 400 a month with 500-550 being typical.

Caldwell, NJ

In the early 70s I worked for MDAC-E and covered contractors in West Caldwell, NJ, Great Neck NY and Baltimore, MD for the development of the Harpoon antiship missle. It was in a pleasant location, and every time I drove from my prime site at Nash Controls in West Caldwell to Sperry on Long Island I drove right by it to the nearby road that took me to the George Washington Bridge. I have a phobia about public transportation my wife tells me but they have rental cars and that is where I probably will go into in the next year for a visit to The City.

Bob Axsom

Back