What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Priming in South Florida

AviB

I'm New Here
Hi Folks,

I was talking to someone and they mentioned that the airports / hangars in Broward and South Florida are all very strict about aerosols/spraying.

I'm told that I won't be allowed to prime at/near the Hangar or airports.

I live in an apartment building so I don't have a garage/lawn/back yard to do priming.

I guess my questions are:
1) Does this ring true to anyone or is this person misinformed?
2) What are my options if I can't prime at home (apartment building) or the hangar where I'll be building?

PS - with the humid, salty air down here in South Florida I assume that priming is pretty essential to protect against corrosion. But I'd love to hear from other RV owners who have plains in coastal South Florida.

Thanks!

I just switched from akzo to ekoprime and couldn't be happier. There are no nasty fumes, it is water based, and goes on easily, dries quickly, and so far seems very tough. Perhaps something like that would be allowed? You should be able to spray that at home as well. Smells like regular house paint.

On another note, I was very impressed with the ekoclean as well, works as well as acetone without the fumes. The basic process is ekoclean, ekoetch, then
prime, which I do with a cheap harbor freight hvlp gun.

You can find ekoprime at aircraft spruce among others.

Chris

Avi,
One of the guys on the field just painted his Cessna with a roll on paint that looks just like it was sprayed. I'm not sure what the brand name is but I will try to find out for you today. Besides the Eco-thing at the airport the other reason for not spraying is that the hangars are not airtight and overspray gets on planes in adjacent hangars. Give me a call.

Roll it

I primed a whole lot of mine with a roller...and I have a spray booth! The small 4" disposable rollers are great, and no spray equipment clean up. Really nice for the big skin inner surfaces also, and most people cant tell the difference in finish quality. I used Akzo epoxy primer and its the same process we use in heavy jet repair facility where I work where spraying isnt an option. Soft bristle paint brushes also work well for small formed parts. If you just have to spray it, find a local body shop or custom painter and inquire about having a bundle of parts shot in a booth with your primer of choice.

Back