What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What to do with outdated avionics?

Dean Pichon

Well Known Member
What do builders do to get rid of (near) worthless avionics? Are there any schools, foundations, or organizations that could put them to use? I have a bunch of junk to get rid of, but before I put it in the dumpster, I thought I would see if it made more sense to "donate" it...

Thanks,

Dean
RV-4
Bolton, MA

You state that it is worthless, so you probably can't sell it to anyone. Ask at a local avonics shop and see if they want it for parts. It is extremely difficult for shops that actually diagnose and repair equipment to find parts for this old equipment, even if the owners want to have their "broken" equipment fixed.

You may not get any money, but the shop may trade you for some service or certification that you may need to have performed.

What do builders do to get rid of (near) worthless avionics? Are there any schools, foundations, or organizations that could put them to use? I have a bunch of junk to get rid of, but before I put it in the dumpster, I thought I would see if it made more sense to "donate" it...

Hey, wait a minute, are you calling my steam gauge panel worthless junk?:eek:

Seriously are you talking avionics, like radios and displays, or instruments? You have this listed in steam gauges. I agree with sending instruments and old gauges to a repair shop. I know they will take them for parts. Some even gave a core value. Old avionics, like radios, can be recycled. Many of the original manufacture may also take them in exchange if you buy new.

Thanks,

Dean
RV-4
Bolton, MA

Dean,
Let me know what you find out. I just replaced by Attitude gyro with a brand new Falcon. The old one got the glass cracked when I got rough with the horizon adjust.
Bart

Here are three options - 1) In the early 2000s we removed, from our Bonanza, a DME, a Navcom, a round Apollo Loran, and a bulky ADF and replaced them with a Garmin 430. All of them sold at just about retail price on Ebay. I did not think the ADF would sell at all but some guy bought it. He said he was thinking of buying a Cessna 150 that didn't have one. I am not kidding, and who am I to judge?

2. Saw a kids pedal car at OSH that looked like a mini-DC3, seated two kids side-by-side, and had a panel full of old avionics! Super Cool.

3. On the 2000s "Battlestar Galactica" the Vipers had some conventional avionics. In fact, I saw a scene where one of them did the hyperspace jump and the pilot's hand was clearly (freeze frame) pushing a button on a round Apollo 618 Loran. So if you a building a jump drive you will need one.

Ebay!

You'd be amazed at what you can on Ebay for that stuff!

If it came out of your panel, chances are, there's someone out there looking for parts to repair one just like it.

You'd be amazed at what you can on Ebay for that stuff!

If it came out of your panel, chances are, there's someone out there looking for parts to repair one just like it.

Concur. Did a no reserve, $1 starting bid plus shipping auction of a broken 100 series gps, clearly stated it would not power up, no returns of any kind. Three different bidders were willing to pay over $400. Guy who won was even willing to pay the shipping charges to Prague!

Back