What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin AP Disconnect Q.

Captain_John

Well Known Member
Hey guys, I am going to ask the obvious. I suspect that I am right but want to ask anyways.

I have reviewed the G3X Manual and it doesn't seem to show a disconnect function for the servos.

As a paranoid pilot, I would like one. Not because the servos will go hard over on me. Highly unlikely, but what is more likely is that I will be running on AP and want to go somewhere else immediately.

I have installed a switch in series with the servo feed(s) and plan on depriving the servos of power in a disconnect situation.

I don't see anything wrong with this, but was wondering if it would cause a disruption in the space/time continuum.

Thoughts???

Also, Q2: The servos are supposed to be on 5 amp overcurrent protection devices. Does this mean I should bump the circuit rating to 10 amperes?

Thanks!

:rolleyes: CJ

CJ, review section 9.5.2.4 of the latest version of the install manual for info on the disconnect switch. Standard practice is to both have a switchabe power supply, often as a pullable breaker, and a disconnect switch that activates an switch internal to the system.

Good Luck, A

As a paranoid pilot, I would like one. Not because the servos will go hard over on me. Highly unlikely, but what is more likely is that I will be running on AP and want to go somewhere else immediately.

This is exactly what the A/P disconnect (or CSS) switch is for. On the stick - instant disconnect.

Hello John,

Yes, an autopilot disconnect button is supported by the GSA 28 servos, and is highly recommended. This input can optionally be used for Control Wheel Steering (CWS) functionality as well. Provisioning for a pullable circuit breaker or power switch for autopilot servos is optional but certainly doesn't hurt; my airplane has one.

The installation and configuration of the GSA 28 autopilot servos is extensively documented in the G3X installation manual. For information about the autopilot disconnect / CWS input, please see section 9.5.2.4, section 9.12, section 9.71, section 15.6, and Figure C-1.5. Please let us know if you have further questions.

- Matt

Yup! ok... we got that!

The red button on the side of my Infinity stick is my CWS functionality.

I have done this with all the other aircraft that I fly and I want/need this to be the same.

That being said, I have also see AP off switches there as well. That is what I was hoping to achieve with disconnecting the servo power. I wasn't sure that I should do this by simply depriving the servos of power or by another means such as a double pole switch disconnecting power to GMC 305 or something else. I don't prefer the latter, because (as I understand it) that would remove flight director function along with it.

Am I on the right track here???

:confused: CJ

I put in a CWS (Control Wheel Switch) disconnect button on my panel next to the GX Pilot when I wired up the G3X. I also have a standard toggle switch on the panel with an LED annunciator light to power the servos with. I opted to put the CWS on the panel instead of the stick as a personal choice though I had an open button switch on my stick.

Matt, I see that you posted the same time as I!

Sorry... and thank you for the reply!

I will install the switch in the servo power circuit.

Sooooo, 5 amps total is ok for that circuit?

:confused: CJ

I will install the switch in the servo power circuit.

Sooooo, 5 amps total is ok for that circuit?

John,

Yes, a 5A circuit breaker is sufficient for both the pitch and roll servos, as is shown in Figure C-1.5.

- Matt

John,

Yes, a 5A circuit breaker is sufficient for both the pitch and roll servos, as is shown in Figure C-1.5.

- Matt

DOH!

Matt, I swear to GAWD that I thought is showed two 5a fuses, one each on another diagram! Perhaps the prior document???

Thank you all for your replies!

What great wealth of knowledge we have in our user group!

Can anyone find me a woman who will help me finish and fly this thing now???

Seems like my GF is having a case of Aluminum Mistress Syndrome. Hmmmm, what to do!?!

Mikey, I will take you up on that offer!

;) CJ

What great wealth of knowledge we have in our user group!
;) CJ

What is even more amazing is that you are conversing with one of the guys that helped design and program the darn thing.

This is a major advantage we have here in the experimental market!

What is even more amazing is that you are conversing with one of the guys that helped design and program the darn thing.

This is a major advantage we have here in the experimental market!

ABSOLUTELY!

Thank you All!

:). CJ

Last edited:
Back