What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A N459PM...

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I'm getting close. This afternoon my son, home from college, helped me rivet the forward-aft top skin. I built a false floor out of construction foam and thin plywood. I'm 6 feet tall and not very flexible, it's a pretty tight fit getting back in the fuselage. Once back there it was not bad at all.

Here's a few pictures.

False floor:

WXGy0ZV.jpg

EqNlmYw.jpg

8JFe0F8.jpg

Me in the back. That's my index finger.

9WyKf5I.jpg

The final product:

8UWd2yC.jpg

Michael-

Wings to their new home...

I took possession of my hangar today and transported the wings to their new home. Fuselage to follow in a few weeks. My hangar is at Paine Field in Everett Washington. There is a ton of aviation activity at Paine Field. I'm excited!

GwfPCAW.jpg

CT5h7zr.jpg

Michael-

Congrats, spent a few years or my life in the NW, and a couple years within a few miles on Paine.

Awesome! Congrats Michael. Now I have to drive a little further to check things out. ;-)

Darin

Congrats!

I'm smiling because my "moving to the hangar" pics look exactly like yours .... in virtually every way. :D Another one of those milestone dates you'll never forget.

Congrats

I am hoping to make the same move myself in the next couple of months. My delay will be getting the plane painted before I move to the hangar I have lined up. This is making out to be a good year for 9 and 9A completions.

Rigging done!

Wings final mounted all control surfaces rigged! I'm excited. The rigging took me longer than I thought. Surprise.

FQBwcpM.jpg

Michael-

First engine start...

First engine start on saturday, some taxi testing today. Unbelievably exciting taxiing in an aircraft you built. (Used engine, so the engine is already broken in)

The engine runs smooth, starts on just a few blades. Two instruments are not working, so some diagnostics to do there.

The first run I was only getting 2000 static RPM. Adjusted the throttle a now I'm getting between 2100 and 2200, so that's about right.

I can't wait to fly.

http://youtu.be/5GA9VUY4d4E

Michael-

Congrats Michael! Let me know when the first flight happens... I would love to come watch if you are comfortable with that. :)

Airworthiness Certificate Issued!

My airworthiness certificate was issued this morning. What a feeling. This has been such a long, fulfilling journey. I thought I was going to start crying when the FAA inspector shook my hand.

Thanks for all those who have replied to the many questions I've asked. And thanks to Doug for hosting this site.

Sorry no pictures. There was no one else around to take them.

Michael-

OK, it is not fair to go from posting about first engine start to getting your certificate in the next post. There are rules!!

Good deal Michael - that is great news and have a great time in phase 1. Don't worry about not getting the picture then. Just keep the certificate at the hangar and next time someone walks by, have them pose with you. We won't know the guy anyway!! HA!

Great job getting your certificate. Take your time and wait for good weather. When your plan is complete, the engine is running strong and you and your ground support staff are all giving a solid thumbs up...... Then enjoy the rush of feelings that come as you sit at the end of the runway getting ready for that first take off.

Be safe. Have fun. Get ur done!

Wonderful Michael! Good luck and make sure there are lots of picture takers in your ground staff when the magical day comes!

Darin

Great Job Michael...
Now you have to find a camera... and relax a bit and enjoy that pink certificate... You have a well deserved rest... that is after you get the plane back together and send some Pictures!!!!!!!

Congratulations
Smilin' Jack

Wow! Congrats on the sign-off. EAA Chapter 1440 meets tomorrow night (Tuesday). Come tell folks about the news!

Hopefully I will make the meeting -- may be some logistical issues in that dimension.

First Flight N459PM...

My project broke ground today at the hands of test pilot Terry Burch. With the exception of a few glitches, everything went smoothly. Once I get the glitches cleaned up I will be the pilot.

Yipee!

Here's my list of things to fix:

? Heavy left wing
? Increase the break-out on the nose wheel
? Decrease the idle by about 100 RPM

Micahel-

http://youtu.be/H1jk8kxBn-o

Very nice Michael. I can't wait to get to that point!!
I watched your video again and noticed how quick it got off the ground. What an exciting day for you.

Last edited:
My first flight!!!

I flew N459PM tonight! Holy cow, what an amazing airplane! I love it! It flys so effortlessly. It feels like all it needs is an engine that will idle and she'll fly.

So glad I had transition training from Mike. I was prepared.

I was quit anxious, nervous, and a little scared. After getting some fuel and taxiing around for a bit I finally went for it. My plan was simply to go once around the pattern and then call it a night.

Wow, how cool that once around the pattern was. I was taxing back to the hangar. It was perfectly calm, the sun had just set... I could not resist heading back out for one more. I'm at a controlled field. The tower probably thought I was a little nuts.

So, so cool!

I'm not going to be able to sleep or work until I can fly again! I feel like a little boy at Christmas time.

Michael

P.s. No cool video. I don't have a go pro. I spent all my money on the airplane.

Congratulations, Michael. Now you can enjoy your Phase I. I know what you mean about that strange feeling on your first flight. I am working on the gear fairings right now. Hope to be finished by the end of next week. Then back to flying.
Jim

Congrats on the flight. I particularly liked the 'money quote:' I spent all my money on the airplane...

too true...

==dave==

Congratulations! That was one of the best first flight write ups I've ever read. No pics or vids necessary.

Will this feeling ever wear off?

Ok, I've got 5 flights under my belt. I love this airplane! As soon as the wheels touch down, all I can think about is the next flight. Will this feeling wear off?

Thanks,
Michael-

Hasn't worn off yet for me! Vlad, this reminds me that I need to get my feet wet and fly to Catalina.

Did you try the Bison Burger there, Vlad? I hear the runway has a crest about two-thirds of the way down that first-timers perceive as the end of the runway, so lots of locked up brakes, etc. I can't wait to fly there!!

Did you try the Bison Burger there, Vlad? I hear the runway has a crest about two-thirds of the way down that first-timers perceive as the end of the runway, so lots of locked up brakes, etc. I can't wait to fly there!!

Yes I did try Doug. Couldn't finish it's way overrated :D

Runway was OK I don't remember any parallax but my autopilot had a concern...

Flew with pants...

I finally got around to flying with wheel pants and fairings. I installed the pants and fairings yesterday. I only got to fly the pattern because of weather. But wow, what a difference.

The first time around the pattern I used the same power settings I was used to without pants. Holy cow, she wouldn't slow down or come down! The first time around I ended up going around.

I can't wait to air it out with the pants and fairings.

I'm assuming this will change my stall speed. I guess I have to do my airspeed tests again.

Michael-

4b86Fpq.jpg

Big Difference

I installed my gear fairings in stages starting with the nose gear fairing. I didn't notice much difference with that, maybe a few knots. I flew for the first time yesterday with my main gear leg fairings and wheel pants installed. Wow, what a difference that made. I picked up 16 knots at cruise at 65% power and 8000 ft. It looks like more than 19 knots increase at full power. And that does not include the upper transition fairings. And like you, I had trouble slowing down in the pattern. I crossed the numbers at 80 knots instead of 70 and used the entire runway (3200 ft) to get it on the ground and stopped. I'll have to work on slowing down sooner!

Phase 1 Vy testings

My third attempt at Vy tests was a little more successful than my first two. You have to be pretty precise to fly this test and get results that form anything resembling a curve at the top. Today I did it in 5 MPH increments.

I came up with Vy at 95 MPH. I have an O-320 Catto three blade prop. When I plot this and then graph out Vx, I get 80 MPH for Vx.

It was fun finally getting this done. I'm going to have a pilot friend with more experience for me fly this test also to see if he comes up with something close to what I got.

If anyone out there has a similar setup to me, I'd be curious to here what your Vy, Vx numbers are.

Here's a picture of my graph.

wNX3Go7.jpg

Michael-

Phase 1 Flight Testing Complete

Today I completed the phase 1 flight testing on my aircraft. It finally feels complete! I love flying this airplane. I hope to have many years of great adventures. Thanks for all the help and support this forum provides.

Kindly,
Michael-

Back