What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Formation Clinic, North Carolina, March 28-30, 2014

ronschreck

Well Known Member
A Yahoo group is established to collect and disseminate information for the NC 2014 Formation Clinic at the Stanly County, NC airport (KVUJ) on the weekend of 28-30 March 2014.

Participating pilots should have excellent stick and rudder skills. This clinic is only for RV aircraft. Sorry, no RV-10?s, however we may consider including RV-12?s if at least four RV-12 pilots sign up. We will not mix RV-12?s with other models. All aircraft must be in excellent condition. Beginner's aircraft must have dual controls (throttle, stick and rudder), intercom, and PTT in both positions. No vernier throttles allowed!. We will arrange for competitive rates at a hotel in nearby Albemarle, NC. We will provide dinner on Friday evening, and lunch on Saturday. Further detailed information will be posted to the Yahoo group as it is available.

Regardless of your level of formation expertise, you will find the clinic to be a challenging, rewarding and fun experience. Check in here! Once membership in the Yahoo group is approved access the DATABASE and make an entry on the Sign-In Sheet.

Priority has been given to those who joined the group last year and signups are now open to all others. There are very few slots remaining and they will go fast. Once we reach 60 signups we will close the list and begin a standby list.

p1dj.jpg

RV4

Your requirement for full dual controls for Beginners eliminates most RV4s from participation. Is there any "get around" for this?

Jim
Leesburg, VA
RV-4 N444JT

Your requirement for full dual controls for Beginners eliminates most RV4s from participation. Is there any "get around" for this?

Jim
Leesburg, VA
RV-4 N444JT

Perhaps you can borrow another airplane for that phase of training. I know others have made such arrangements in the past.

Hope you can understand that safety could not be assured if an instructor pilot had no access to all flight controls. :eek:

Ron -

Copy RV-only ... any other events you're aware of where I could bring my EA-230? It's a single-seat monoplane w/ an IO-360 and speeds compatible w/ RVs. I would like to get an FFI card & become an adjunct member for formating w/ my local RV neighbors. Background is USAF (F-15C & T-38) and I've flown a bit of piston single formation as well.

thx,

Hubble

Ron -

Copy RV-only ... any other events you're aware of where I could bring my EA-230? It's a single-seat monoplane w/ an IO-360 and speeds compatible w/ RVs. I would like to get an FFI card & become an adjunct member for formating w/ my local RV neighbors. Background is USAF (F-15C & T-38) and I've flown a bit of piston single formation as well.

thx,

Hubble

I am not aware of events with dissimilar aircraft, although Im sure that there are. Given your background I recommend formating with your RV buddies in your area. Evaluations can be given with dissimilar aircraft for your FFI card.

Thanks Kahuna! I'll fly w/ local folks and work w/ them to get the FFI ck-out. I enjoyed your show at Sebring last January. Hope to see y'all again soon. Hubble

Hmm...

I'm now left wondering how one can get a card in an RV4 sans rear rudder pedals? Having flown a bit of formation I understand the need for throttle and such for instructor's use and was going to add the rear throttle to my -4 just for this need. But rudder petals are a bridge too far so I guess I'll have to forego card for now.

So question for other -4 drivers who have received their cards? How did you get get the experience necessary? Military, other aircraft, other venues?

Disappointed - was looking forward to adding this in '14....

Can't remember having to use rudder petals all that much in the -4 other than to keep the ball precisely centered in some unusual attitudes, in extended climb, and on the runway.

Oh well...no NFL flyovers for me.

Hmm...

I'm now left wondering how one can get a card in an RV4 sans rear rudder pedals? Having flown a bit of formation I understand the need for throttle and such for instructor's use and was going to add the rear throttle to my -4 just for this need. But rudder petals are a bridge too far so I guess I'll have to forego card for now.

So question for other -4 drivers who have received their cards? How did you get get the experience necessary? Military, other aircraft, other venues?

Disappointed - was looking forward to adding this in '14....

Can't remember having to use rudder petals all that much in the -4 other than to keep the ball precisely centered in some unusual attitudes, in extended climb, and on the runway.

Oh well...no NFL flyovers for me.

Richard,

Those without dual controls often borrow another's airplane for the dual rides. If you are good you may only need one dual ride, then you can use your own airplane for the remaining clinic rides. And yes, you will be using rudder pedals a lot more than you ever have before.

NOTE: The NC Formation Clinic is full. We are still accepting members to the Yahoo group and a standby list will be open to group members in the future.

Hmm...

I'm now left wondering how one can get a card in an RV4 sans rear rudder pedals?

Same way you would get a card in an RV-3. Hook up with some locals for starters. Get a FFI flight lead to clear you solo. Go to a clinic.

Tony

Hmm...

When you start flying formation, you'll find out what those pedals are really for!

And don't be so quick to give up. PM Smokey and see what it would take for you to go to the clinic as an observer. Get in the books and learn all you can before the clinic. 3-4 backseat rides in a -8 will beat the stuffing out of anything else you could be doing that weekend.

Tony

Richard shot me a PM earlier and we'll be happy to work with him locally. We have a couple of guys in the area interested in learning both with RV4's and no rear controls. I'm sure we can get them profiecient enough not to scare an instructor too bad. Thanks Tony for getting him to us. We need some new blood up here.

2014 NC Formation Clinic

Clinic has been rescheduled due to weather. New date is weekend of May 9th.

Leggs

Back