What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Tip/Aileron alignment

BStewart

After installing all the platenuts and screws, my left wing tip (haven't mounted the right tip yet) is about 5/16" below the TE of the aileron when in the neutral postion. I thought I had it in the proper postion before I started drilling and clecoing, but once I installed the Platenuts it appears to be way off. What's the best method for insuring the aileron is in the neutral position? I used the tooling holes as shown on the plans.

Is there a fix for this error or am I about to place an order for a new left tip?

Thanks,
Bryon

Not sure, but...

Bryon: Mine were the same way. I think you set the flaps to match the neutral
ailerons, regardless. Even if they don't match the wing tips. I don't think you did anything wrong on the wingtips. They only fit one way. Seems to me that it would be difficult to change their alignment, not matter what. I will be interested in hearing responses from someone more expert than me. Hang in there. Jack N489JE

I had a misallignment on the right tip of my -6A also. I removed the triangle shaped aluminum filler piece, split the trailing edge of the tip & down the side a bit, pulled it into alignment, and with it clamped in place, layed in a couple of layers of resin soaked 'glass mat in the split. After the resin set, I sanded & filled with a resin/microballoon mix. Worked out good.

Ben Beaird
Plymouth, WI

Back