What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best GoPro shooting and conversion settings

walkman

Well Known Member
Hi

I am continuing to learn to use my GoPro3. Most of the time I'm shooting formation flying, converting and editing on my Mac and uploading to Vimeo.

I'm finding that the settings I'm using make the aircraft look much further apart than they really are, I'm getting funny pulses in the video on conversion, and they just aren't looking that great when on line on Vimeo.

What are the best settings for shooting formation, conversion, and uploading to sites like Vimeo?

I too am a GoPro nubie, and head-scratching over the same issues. Hope somebody chimes in with some suggested settings.

try the forums?

as you might suspect, there are 10,000+ GoPro geeks out there, just like us RV nuts! :)

google and you'll no doubt find a bunch of forums, populated by a zillions teens who use these things on a daily basis...and have lots of tips, tricks workarounds, and occasional bad advice, just like your closest pals here!

http://www.goprofanatics.com/gopro-hd-hero3/

I just bought the sony HDR-AS15 since it's gone on sale ( new model coming out of course). So far I quite like it, but haven't had it in flight yet!...and the directions were terrible, HAD to go to the forums and YouTUbe to figure out a few things, like pairing to my phone with wifi.

I have a few hundred hours of GoPro filming, much of it in formation. The problem is that when you film in wide angle (170deg FOV) it will make everything look farther away. I'm still using an HD2 so not sure of all the settings on the 3 but try putting the FOV setting to medium. Of course it will not be all that great for formation because of the FOV but it should give a more realistic perspective. Try a bunch of settings and see what works best. This is not just a GoPro issue, it is an issue with all the POV cameras.

There are a few GoPro forums online. As to editing, I use Sony Vegas 10 which works great but Vimeo and YouTube dumb down the quality which drives me crazy.

Gopro website has a suggested setting for this issue. I have it set on my gopro. (Gopro at hangar or I'd let you know and I can't remember).

It helps but is still far away compared to real world view.

*** I've used 45fps to get rid of most weird prop spinning issues.

Look at the wing tip and you can see the view taper. This is with the gopro suggested settings. Without, the wingtip comes to a point

f592da4b18d48d154cf1ba256fefbe9e_zpsaab790dc.jpg

Last edited:
the gopros are great cameras but were definitely not purpose-made for flying and especially poor with formation due to the wide angle lens...

we again found out on the otherwise awesome first flight video of mike's RV-10, there are shots in there that were really up, close and personal in reality, yet look like miles apart on video.

there's definitely a niche market here waiting to be harvested. either with some filter/adapter lens for the gopro or a different camera.

as to getting rid of the prop shutter effect. that is apparently possible by using a stick on filter, which only slightly darkens the picture.

Back