What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Light IFR is a myth

rzbill

Well Known Member
I have always mentally agreed with the title of this thread but yesterday it was handed to me on a platter such that it is now engrained in my heart.

I departed Asheville for a short hop to Lincolnton. It was marginal VFR but of the low ceiling-very good visibility type. I decided to go VFR. No problems encountered.

Weather was predicted to be the same or improve for the ride home. It was until I reached the mountains surrounding the Asheville valley. For some reason I could not receive ATIS (unusual). Approach said 1000' and 2.5 miles. Should be no problem. I squeezed in to take a look and decided to ask for a special and contact approach which was granted. However, I ran into a wall cloud and had to terminate. I flew back out of the valley to Rutherfordton to sit down and put on my race face for IFR. I'm positive the AVL controller would have instantly offered a local IFR clearance to shoot an approach but I was not ready. Next time I will be even if I am VFR.

Filed, programmed the 430 and GRT and took off, opened plan and headed to AVL. I have an archer nav in the left tip. It has worked fine for all previous vfr testing of approaches. Well, it did not on this flight. I was approaching intercept from the right of course and I got no needles. Missed the intercept but I had the GRT SAP programmed and moving map on the other screen so I was able to recover without vectors. As soon as I turned such that I was intercepting from the left, the needles popped up.

Centered the needles and got settled. (HITS and the velocity vector kick butt). Tower called and said the CRJ ahead of me reported breaking out at minimums. Jeez... This will be a first.

Same happened to me. I started getting worried at 250 feet but the lights and rabbit popped out right at 200. Landed and thanked the tower for the help.

So, I learned a few things both technically and operationally that I now know I need to change.

Last edited:
Nice write up.

Going back and regrouping was a good idea and I'm glad you had that option available to you.

When you didn't get the needles on Nav 1 how long did you give yourself before asking for vectors or going missed? Nice work on having Nav 2 set up.

Great write-up, but your title is a bit misleading. You had plenty of options to go elswhere, right? Lots of fuel and RV speed to get to a good VFR option? That meant that you used good judgement and there is no harm poking around low conditions (as long as you are current and no when to "knock it off" due to equipment or pilot failures) - so long as you NEED to complete a minimums approach to stay alive.

That's fundamentally how I define "Light IFR" - knowing that I can always escape and go someplace VFR if everything isn't going right. Of course, you need to recognize when to quit and go find sunshine.

Paul

Light IFR

Yep

My experience is that more often than not, IFR destination forecasts aren't quite as bad as forecast when you get there, but marginal VFR forecasts are often worse.

Be especially wary when the METAR is worse than the forecast, with a tight temp/dew point spread.

Last Friday night I flew into KNEW with a marginal VFR forecast behind a front. Conditions were forecast to be around 1000' and 6 miles. The METAR was consistently a little worse all afternoon, and I was scheduled to arrive about 40 minutes after sunset.

When I got there, the ATIS was a 200 ft indefinite ceiling and 1/2 mile vis in mist.

I've flown two approaches to minimums in the last year, both were with VFR forecasts. Significantly, both times there were marginal VFR or better airports within 10 miles

However, I ran into a wall cloud and had to terminate. I flew back out of the valley to Rutherfordton to sit down and put on my race face for IFR. I'm positive the AVL controller would have instantly offered a local IFR clearance to shoot an approach but I was not ready. Next time I will be even if I am VFR.

At my old flight school we used to teach scenario based training, back when SBT was new and we were all bad at it... anyway, this would have been an excellent example. You knew you were not prepared for an IFR approach, so rather than just winging it, you opted to go land VFR and prepare for the approach the right way. Given the terrain around AVL, getting lost and confused in IMC around there is not an option.

I also like the fact that you were able to use your GRT Synthetic Approach as it was intended-- a secondary tool for situational awareness to help you get onto the ILS needles to shoot the approach. Nice job!

My instrument instructor taught belts and suspenders.
Any time I have had an issue it has been because I was not as prepared as I should have been. I always try to stay two steps ahead.
I still fly with that CFII on occation and he almost always trips me up just to remind me to stay two steps ahead. Your alternate was a good decision to allow you to get caught up.

Great write-up, but your title is a bit misleading…
That's fundamentally how I define "Light IFR" - knowing that I can always escape and go someplace VFR if everything isn't going right. Of course, you need to recognize when to quit and go find sunshine.
I enjoy reading your comment, Paul. I know some here are extremely adamant that there is no such thing as various gradiations of IFR. To me there is. With today’s technology and the abundance (at times over abundance) of preflight information, one is able to assess risk and make an informed decision to launch or not – icing level, area forecasts, front location/movement, cloud types, actual precipitation or not, VFR conditions within ALT range, etc. Just like going out for a local VFR flight with winds light and variable has a different risk level than a 20G35 crosswind, so does, in my opinion, a large, stable stratus layer bumping 1000’ vs. heavy showers, embedded TS, low icing levels, etc.

This is not to say one must not be prepared with back equipment/plan, etc – IMC is IMC. And as others have said, conditions are fluid and are not always found as expected. But I disagree that all IFR flight is the same.

Last edited:
Paul

Several years ago I was flamed for using the term "light IFR." Paul's definition is perfect. Being a left coaster there are plenty of times that an IFR departure is required, but there isn't any real weather for a thousand miles. Having spent way too much time slogging through real weather, keeping one eye on the flight instruments and radar and the other on the anti-ice and de-ice systems, trust me, there are different levels of IMC.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Terminology

I tend to agree with Paul also... Maybe a more apt term would be "localized IMC" instead of "light IFR".

- Matt

I get the point about being able to bail out to MVFR as a definition of light IFR.
HOWEVER, my definition of light IFR has always been punching a layer down to an approach with high cielings meaning at or above non-precision cielings of 6 to 800 feet. So from that aspect, this was not light IFR.

Once commited to IFR after filing, I was in the soup until I broke out at 200 feet. I could not legally bail out to VFR because the minimum vectoring altitudes were all above the cieling. Thats much different than punching a thin layer and landing visually.

Last edited:
To me, it's more of a personal limit than "light" or "serious" IFR. I won't shoot to 200' minimums because I prefer 5-600' overcast more doable since

I only fly/file IFR occasionally, and to me, that's lighter. I don't mind climbing through several thousand feet of cloud either, because my chances of CFIT keep getting lesser as well.

Best,

Nice write up.

Going back and regrouping was a good idea and I'm glad you had that option available to you.

When you didn't get the needles on Nav 1 how long did you give yourself before asking for vectors or going missed? Nice work on having Nav 2 set up.

Can't give a dimension but it was not full deflection on the LOC because as soon as I turned, they popped up at about 1/2 deflection. That happed at the exact same time that the tower asked if I need vectors which I declined because I had what I needed.

I tend to define 'light' or 'heavy' in terms of aircraft and equipment, not pilot, capability. "Heavy" is flight thru known icing (or continuing flight after encountering 'unknown' icing), or penetrating areas of embedded thunderstorms, etc.! Things for which the airplane is not equipped.
As a cfii giving instrument proficiency checks, I cannot pass someone who cannot fly an ILS to 200' agl (in 'light' conditions).

Note to RzBill: I have flown a number of airplanes with a 430 and some other NAV radio, where they share the same antenna. Almost always, the other LOC unflags before the 430's LOC. When the 430 does unflag, it has a rock solid signal. I think the unflag threshold is routinely set a bit high in the 430. I do not know if it can be adjusted. I too have an Archer in my left wing tip, am routinely vectored onto the localizer at LVK from right of course, more than 20 nm out. My SL30 has always picked up the signal while on the intercept course. Installation differences? Or nav radio?

Thanks for the tip on 430 experience Bob. I'll look into the documentation. I agree that the signal was rock solid once it unflagged.
I hear you on your definition of light too. My mind set had the break at the "personal limits" that are frequently espoused.

Again in regards to the title of the thread, I thought about rewriting my post that is a few spots up because on reflection it did not defend the title well.

The point of the title was that the whole day I was expecting VFR only to have it change to an expected light IFR approach with early breakout. The reality was that it did not happen that way and the change occured at the last minute while on the approach. That was the point. One has to be ready for the full monte and forget trying to be 1/2 pregnant.

Last edited:
Cancellations

I unfortunately had to cancel a "good deal" flight each of the last two nights (more and more rare to get those in this tight fiscal environment) due to METAR being below TAF (and forecaster even verbally told me it would be worse!!). I tried to leave special VFR (500/1) but the tower supervisor came on the radio and told me "we are calling 500/4 but we lost sight of the last two aircraft around 300 feet and less than a mile away, say intentions"

I actually had the mins to take off but I believe many share my luck...if weather is iffy and you push, you sweat trying to get out of it later. If you cancel, it magically clears up a little later. BUT, I would always rather be on the ground, looking into the clearing clouds and think "Man, I wish I would have taken that flight" than to be in the clouds going missed at 200 ft thinking "Man, I wish I would have cancelled"!

Last edited:
Several years ago I was flamed for using the term "light IFR." Paul's definition is perfect. Being a left coaster there are plenty of times that an IFR departure is required, but there isn't any real weather for a thousand miles. Having spent way too much time slogging through real weather, keeping one eye on the flight instruments and radar and the other on the anti-ice and de-ice systems, trust me, there are different levels of IMC.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

John not wanting to flame you, but lets be real here. You are talking about light IMC. It can vary from light, small layer, to thick layer, dark, turbulent and pouring rain. That might be heavy IMC.

But when equipping an aircraft for Instrument Flight Rules it is IFR. No heavy medium or light, it is IFR or it is VFR.

This is the confusion many folk have, hey confuse a state of weather with a rule set for flight.

Bill has written a good story, and from my time talking to Bill in the past he and I see the same page a lot. I am glad to see he has spoken up about faults, minimum equipment etc.

Do not skimp on panel costs just to barely meet the rules. Equip to live.

Hope hat makes sense. :)

Weather Pilots

Paul

This is a key point. When you get paid to fly, there are fewer reasons to quit/more pressures to continue. In military flying, sometimes there are even fewer options. I am always amazed by what people are willing to accept just to "get home". Low fuel, pushing the mins, scud running, trying to make the field after engine failure,etc. When the flight is not critical (my RV is not completed, but I find it hard to define a "critical" flight in it) the go/no go decision should be made before taking off because once in flight, you have a lot of extra motivation to push (you are in the air and WILL eventually come down).

Do not skimp on panel costs just to barely meet the rules. Equip to live.

I like that! I live in a mountainous area that looks like the poppy field in Wizard of Oz, if you put a red mark for every CFIT. Technology does make a difference.

When the flight is not critical (my RV is not completed, but I find it hard to define a "critical" flight in it) the go/no go decision should be made before taking off because once in flight, you have a lot of extra motivation to push (you are in the air and WILL eventually come down).

Ding, ding, ding, ding!!!!

That is the most important point we can make. I know and respect many 30,000 hour airline pilots who won't even consider IFR in a light single because of all their experience. However, their experience is that when they went to the airport for a trip, they weren't think about whether or not to go, but how they were going to make it work. For personal flying , we should ALWAYS leave ourselves the option of simply "not going". That is the major difference that people need to recognize.

The best safety item for cross-country travel? A backup ticket on SWA (always bankable - roll it over for you next trip if you don't use it). ;)

Personal minimums

My minimums ("personal" IFR) are slightly higher (800' - 1000' on the other end) than Pierre's personal minimums. FAA minimums in my book are hard IFR. If weather reports on the other end are between personal minimums & FAA minimums, don't launch!

Fat-free IFR Lite

I get the point about being able to bail out to MVFR as a definition of light IFR.
HOWEVER, my definition of light IFR has always been punching a layer down to an approach with high cielings meaning at or above non-precision cielings of 6 to 800 feet. So from that aspect, this was not light IFR.......

I guess since there is no official term as "light IFR" it can mean anything to anyone. My years of flying professionally and as an instructor have come to define it pretty much as Bill. Generally higher ceilings (1000agl or more) stable atmos without convective or icing activity and dew point spreads that pretty much assure(i use this term loosely as it really doesnt go along with wx) things stay that way.

However, having been fooled more than once I really try to hope for the best and EXPECT the worse. I have really tried to incorporate that mindset for cross country, IFR, and every landing. That way i forge contingencies before i have to be suprised. Expect a balked landing...expect a missed approach....expect to have to deviate course on a cross country....expect wx worse than forcast. Then i get the options at least in a rough draft prior to getting a surprise!

I think you acted very prudent Bill to regroup and get your head in the game and go back and git er dun. Oh i told you Ruthorfordton was a nice stoppin place:)

So my IFR Lite is to get myself as "fat-free" between the ears as possible before jumping in the soup of any kind....and that is my biggest challenge :eek:

Cancelled my trip and went on the airlines

Wanted to go from Savannah GA to northwest Arkansas for a wedding. Ceilings below 1000 (sometimes doable - my RV-8 has good gyros, I'm instrument rated, but the plane has no IFR avionics), BUT...
- unstable air mass with winds, so things could change
- widespread conditions, so there were no safe, VFR places to retreat to
- second long trip after flying it home from purchase, pressures to get there, tired from work pressures, etc.

So I took the airlines. Same cost as gas, no faster, but I could sleep on the plane.

Ed

Back