What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fiberglassing over foam

Larkrv10

Hi all, I have used pourable poly urathane foam to fill the door post crevices of my RV10 canopy. Question is, can I fiberglass right over the foam, or should I fill it first with epoxy/micro mixture then layup the cloth?
Thx, Rick
Southampton, Ont

How big were the holes you made to inject the foam in? I made mine with a 1/4" drill through the interior side of the door and injected the pour foam with a syringe, then after cure, removed some of the foam from the hole area and into the cavity to form a small recess under the skin and just filled that with a micro/flox mix and sanded flush when cured. I did not cover the plug with glass.

If you have done any carving on the foam, you opened up a lot of holes-------I suggest you mix up some epoxy/micro and spread it over the foam, just enough to create a smooth surface. Lay the glass cloth on the fresh micro and smooth it out, wet out with pure epoxy as needed.

Aha, ok thanks Mike, yes I did shape the foam. So do you mean to lay up the F/G while the micro is still wet?

Thx, Rick

Glass over foam

As a prior Long EZ builder Rutan always advised applying a coat of micro rich filler and epoxy over the foam core . Used on both urethane and the blue Dow product. Mix up the micro a bit wet and squeege it over the foam , lay the glass into the mixture and wet out as normally. This gives the glass a good attachment to the foam.

Not sure what you're talking about

Help me.
It seems from Rick's post he is referring to gap between door and cabin. From David's post it appears he is injecting into the door around the window area??? I might be wrong on both.

Any pictures of the process will help a lot.
Thanks.
Johan

fiberglassing

Johan, I was referring to filling the door posts with foam, and the covering the foam. David was referring to the hollow space in the doors that some builders have also filled. Hope this explains your confusion.
Rick

Back