What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Digiflight II Settings

gerrychuck

Well Known Member
I have an RV6A equipped with a TruTrak Digiflight II with Altitude Hold, connected to a BK KMD 150 gps. I had no issues whatsoever with that combination until doing some minor panel upgrades (installed EI fuel flow gauge and dual fuel gauge in place of Vans fuel gauges). The autopilot and gps both reset to factory defaults during that process, so it took a couple of flights to sort out some issues, primarily to get the baud rate settings on the two devices synced again.

I'm still having a couple of small issues, though: in Heading mode the AP will sometimes maintain the set heading just fine, but other times will immediately assume a shallow bank angle to the left and drift to the left of the initial heading. This does seem to be mitigated by fairly aggressive use of right aileron trim. In Nav mode, the AP sometimes drifts left of the gps track immediately after being engaged, but then gradually corrects back, and once it gets back to the desired track will hold it flawlessly for the rest of the flight.

My question, then, is what settings are people typically using for torque, activity, etc with the Digiflight II in our aircraft? I don't know what my unit was set to before everything reset, and I find myself wondering if I need to increase torque to overcome minor lateral trim/balance issues, or if the problem, such as it is, lies somewhere else. For what it's worth, the altitude hold continues to work perfectly. Also, to answer one question in advance, I am using the Heading mode with the gps still on, so the AP is still using the gps for guidance, and I haven't gone through the calibration procedure for the AP internal gyros.

Thanks in advance!

You might try increasing the GPS gain on the A/P. Play with the activity settings also to see where the sweet spot is. I usually set the activities in the middle of their range to start with.

On your A/P screen, does it say "TRK" in the top left corner? If so, you are getting a good track signal from the GPS.

Digiflight II VSGV settings

Digiflight II VSGV SETTINGS

Hold mode button in:

Lateral activity = 3
Lateral torque = 10
Baud rate = 9600
Bank angle = medium
Micro activity =0
GPSS gain = 16
Yaw damper = no
Mag cal = no

Hold ALT button in:

Pitch axis = on
VRT activity = 0
VRT torque = 12
MIN airspeed = 70
MAX airspeed = 200
Static Lag = 0
Micro activity = 0
Half step = N
These work for me w/ duel screen GRT EFIS and Garmin 430w but may not for your setup. Good luck!

Thanks to both of you for the assistance. I am getting gps signal, Jesse; I'll check the gain settings. Bob; thanks so much for those settings. I'll compare my current settings to those and start from there.

Gerry,

Try doing a gyro set procedure on your autopilot. Autopilot powered up to the screen showing AP OFF, aircraft stationary, press and hold the knob in for about 45 seconds. See if that cures some of the drifting problems.

Back