What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

396 smart antenna

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
Maybe a dumb question but I just read a review of the 496 in Aviation Consumer and it mentioned that the smart antenna puck was both a GPS and XM antenna.
Is this correct that you only need to hook up the GXM 30 smart antenna, as on my 396 installation I have both the remote gps antenna and the XM puck antenna hooked up which works fine but removing the remote gps antenna would eliminate one wire and make it easier to install and remove the unit.

Thanks for any feedback

uk_figs said:
Maybe a dumb question but I just read a review of the 496 in Aviation Consumer and it mentioned that the smart antenna puck was both a GPS and XM antenna.
Is this correct that you only need to hook up the GXM 30 smart antenna, as on my 396 installation I have both the remote gps antenna and the XM puck antenna hooked up which works fine but removing the remote gps antenna would eliminate one wire and make it easier to install and remove the unit.

Thanks for any feedback

AFAIK, the puck is XM only. From other forums, I've read that Garmin said (hearsay ^2) that the only difference in the new GX 30 antenna for the 496 is that it doesn't have magnets. They are otherwise identical to the previous antenna.

One thing I noticed on my buddy's 496 compared to my 396 is the GPS antenna itself is a lot smaller. About 1.1" in square for the 496's GPS antenna.

also the XM antenna is a lot lighter since it doesn't have all the magnets.

the 396 antenna looks like this:
ga26c.jpg

and the 496's looks like this (although it appears smaller in real life):
ga25bnc.jpg

uk_figs said:

I believe the article might be incorrect - I'm pretty sure the GPS and XM antennas are still separate.

mcb

mburch said:
I believe the article might be incorrect - I'm pretty sure the GPS and XM antennas are still separate.
they clearly are separate antennas, starting by the fact that there are two very different antenna connectors on the 396/496.

The GPS antenna is just what it is, an antenna, with the addition of a small preamplifier, while the XM antenna is a "smart" antenna, in that all the electronics required to decode and decrypt XM is within the antenna dome itself.

The XM antenna infact sends data via a serial port to the 396/496, via a different connector that clearly is not a coax connector like the BNC used for the GPS antenna.

Ciao, Luca

What's the recommended mounting location for these antennas? I'm starting to plan where to run various wiring throughout the fuselage and was wondering if these antennas would work well on top of the panel. Seems like a good place since the runs are short, but what about reception? I've seen a lot of gps antennas mounted on top of the aft fuselage skin in front of the VS. A lot more wire to run.

Rick,
I temporarily set my GPS and XM antenna above
the instrument panel. They worked fine and could
have been left there.
When I had time, I moved them both to under
access plates just ahead of my slider windshield.
They work fine there as well. The signal may
attenuate some after paint.
I copied this idea from Dan Checkaway. He has
details of his access plates on his web site.
The access plates can be solid fiberglass or put
fiberglass inserts in the center of the plates.
Give me a call if you have any questions or want
to see the installation. I like having easy access
to the area just behind the firewall.
Tom Webster
P.S. I still have your long back rivet plate.

Last edited:
396 best price

I am considering adding the Garmin 396 to my toy box. Anyone aware of who has the best price.

Pat Stewart
N184PS

Pat -

I just picked up a used one in perfect condition from JA Air Center - they were advertising on Ebay, and I got it for the "Buy it Now" price. I think they might have had a couple. Saved several hundred bucks, got a fresh database, a reasonable warrentee - good deal. I just used Ebay as a locator, then called them direct.

Paul

Back